• Register Today It's free!

Vibration=Tire blow outs

Redwinggirl99

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
I have a theory, due to my unsolvable vibration my 94 exp is currently doing at 60. I wonder if this is the design flaw Ford is keeping under wraps.

I wonder if this vibration causes some sort of unusual wear on the tires that somehow caused all the blow outs.

What say You?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'de say you need to:

-Get an allignment
-Get all 4 tires remounted and rebalanced
-Make sure none of the rims are bent (including the inside of the rim that you can't see unless you're under the car)
-check air pressure
-check to see if there is even wear on your tires and there are no bald spots.

plus.... the lawsuits and government is focusing on the 1995-1998 models. From what I've read there hasn't been much fuss about pre 1995 Explorers.... so I think you have another outside issue.

hey is there any more info available about that lawsuit. I am trying to sell my truck and this might be an easy way outta it.

I've been dealing with but numbing biration ever since I lifted my truck. It's going on three years with the same tires (sport Kings) I've experianced no tread sepperation.

Michigander,

Have you experianced this type of vibration before?
We have been discussing this problem on some other threads (manly one started by redwinggirl99 started about a week ago called Shaky 94 explorer at 59)
some of us have tried everything you suggested and then some. If you have any suggestions ( other than the obvious) we would love to hear them. This doesn't seem to be a black and white solution.

I know I've had a few problems. I've had my tire alligned 3 tires in about 16 months (luckly the place I bought the tires does it for free if you buy from them). After everytime I get them alligned they are perfect, then get knocked out. I think it is from the HUGE potholes up here. I see ppl on the side of the road everywhere I go bc they have a blowout from a pothole.

I also have had one tire remounted and balanced.

I don't follow the lawsuits too close (I work 4 ford so i should) but it seams like there haven't been a huge number of tread seperation from pre 95... is this right?

Has anyone that has bad vibration problems replaced their sway bars and mounts with newer, heavier ones? Does the vibration continue? What about replacing other suspension components like shocks?

I know what it feels like... I had a 1991 Pathfinder that was shakin like mad at 60. I had it re-allinged so many times it was a joke. To this day no one could figure it. out.

I just remembered this from my dads old suburban.... have you have the brakes looked at? We had a problem in a 1988 Sub and went to get it looked at. One brake pad had an uneven wear on it the caused it to stick (not relaese properly). I think it was the front left... anyways we replased the pad and some other junk and it was solved.... I'm suprised I didn't remember that before.

It didn't always pull the car bc it wasn't strong enough to... but it did cause a vibration.

michiganer,
read the thread I suggested, I get tiered rewirting the list of things I've fixed or replaced ( its legnthly)

new breaks front and rear.

I don't know. I'll ask around here.... I work with a bunch of other Ford engineers, maybe they'll have a better guess.

91 to 94 are included too!

The 91 to 94 explorer is also included in the investigation. The majority of Explorers that were shown on CNN that turned over were of the 91 to 94 body style. I think I saw maybe one post 94 style.
Do a search for this. I have a 91 with the same vibration. This was a design flaw with the frame and the harmonic vibrations of the other components. In 91 to 94 ford actually offered new engine mounts designed by Porche to replace the vibration. Some people reported it worked some didn't. The other problem was the 8.8" rear end that was used. It vibrated in the same frequency as the front of the truck causing vibration. That problem was taken care of by hanging a counter weight on the right lower side of the housing and on the 95+ models putting a 5th shock that is attached on the axle to the right hand frame rail. All 95+ explorers have this fix up until the new body style of 02. I, as you are some of the unlucky persons that own an explorer that has this vibration that will not go away until we get rid of the vehicle.

I have the same vibration problems. I just had my tires rebalanced and mounted. they were all out of balance.

I had the front and rear brakes replaced including rotors and bearings.

this helped a little. but my main vibration starts at around 60 and is the worst at 65 and vibrates upto 70.

above 75 it seems to go away.

if im doing 65 and let my foot off the gas the vibration gets even worse. Does this mean that it could be a tranny or engine mount.

Could the vibration be coming from the rearend. Maybe rear wheel bearings.

I swear that my 94 never used to do this until firestone replaced my tires the Ghetto "tech 2000" Man these tires really suck. Ive only put about 8000 miles on these tires and they are wearing like crazy and have uneven treadwear.

sorry if none of that makes sense or jumps from subject to subject but I just had to vent a little.

and info would help.

Thaks
Ryan

I am just getting prepared to make a lot of noise regarding this problem. A lot of Explorer owners are spending a lot of money to cover over an engineering defect. In 1996 Ford issued a sercive Bulletin 95-21-8 describing the problem we are all experiencing. The fix involves replacement of all engine mounts with new design and a rear axle to frame lateral shock absorber kit. I took mine to the dealer along with a copy of this bulletin and they said it was expensive and they wouldn't repair it under any warranty. I understand there is a hidden warranty and I think if enough noise is made to the right people we can at the very least get this repaired. It seems very interesting that the Firestone tires lose their tread at the same speeds we experience the shake. I replaced tires and installed IAS shocks and still shakes. I had all front end inspected and all brakes done. The balance was done on the latest equipment which loads the tire to account for any manufacturing fluctuations. Still shakes. Anybody want to join in a letter writing campaign?

Ryan, that is exactly what my '99 does. EXACTLY!
The dealership had it for almost two weeks -put 50 miles on it- and it still shakes. Strangely, it seems as if the shaking just suddenly started somewhere around 30k miles.
I am about to upgrade the sway bars and possibly get some new rims(18in) very soon. I wonder if that will have any affect on the vibrations?

--mark

Originally posted by lvgunner
I am just getting prepared to make a lot of noise regarding this problem. A lot of Explorer owners are spending a lot of money to cover over an engineering defect. In 1996 Ford issued a sercive Bulletin 95-21-8 describing the problem we are all experiencing. The fix involves replacement of all engine mounts with new design and a rear axle to frame lateral shock absorber kit. I took mine to the dealer along with a copy of this bulletin and they said it was expensive and they wouldn't repair it under any warranty. I understand there is a hidden warranty and I think if enough noise is made to the right people we can at the very least get this repaired. It seems very interesting that the Firestone tires lose their tread at the same speeds we experience the shake. I replaced tires and installed IAS shocks and still shakes. I had all front end inspected and all brakes done. The balance was done on the latest equipment which loads the tire to account for any manufacturing fluctuations. Still shakes. Anybody want to join in a letter writing campaign?
This "fix" was met with mixed results. most people experianced a reduction in vibration but not a complete fix. Ford is in the hot seat right now. The Ford end of the Ford / firestone deposition starts today.
Will the letters acctuially do anything ? Lets say Ford agrees to fix our two trucks, That will only open the flood gates, and Ford is not going to allow that.

Back