Vibration While Driving 60+

SacramentoD

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I have a 2000 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have noticed a vibration when driving over 60 mph. The vibration is in the seat not the wheel.
I have had the tires spin balanced, did not change.
I replaced the front and rear drive shaft u-joints, did not change.

Any suggestions where to go from here?

Dana

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely an alignment or balance issue. Might be a bad tire or a bulge from hitting a pothole.

The tires are new, and I just had them spin balanced.
The alignment is perfect, drives straight as an arrow.

I may have a similar problems (sorry no solution) at 70+ mph the rear view mirror will slightly vibrate to the point where the view gets a little fuzzy. I have replaced the mirror thinking something may have been a little loose with no help. Also have balanced the tires and had alignment done with no change. Mine is an AWD. I am thinking it could be the drive shaft(s) in my case. I have some spare drive shafts and I am thinking of replacing or trying to balance the ones that are on now. I am guessing someone can balance those, I have done it in the past by marking the out of round on the shaft with a chalk with car up on 4 jack stands with the shaft moving and then moving a worm screw clamp around on the shaft until the shaft is perfectly in round. I will interested to see what others say could cause the vibration if it is not the tires or alignment.

When you changed the u-joints, did you balance the drive shafts?

I didn't have the shafts rebalanced after changing the u-joints.

Update, I jacked up the drivers side front end and when I spin the wheel there is a rough spot. At that rough spot I hear a light click or clunking like the gears/cv is binding. and then I noticed that that wheels suspension components will move up slightly (+-1/8"). I don't see anything touching the wheel or suspension. I unbolted the drive shaft and the binding is still there.

I am now thinking that it is the cv joint(s) in the half shaft, but they are not making any of the normal noises when turning etc.

Thoughts anyone?

Back