Wait for the Pro-Comp Adj. shocks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wait for the Pro-Comp Adj. shocks?

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
:eek:

Well, I just looked at an ad for Pro-Comp shocks, and it says that they are releasing a 6 way adjustable shock in the spring of '02. I am not usually one for gimmicks but I am a fan (by way of experienced friends) of the Rancho RS 9000's. I have heard good things about Explorer-procomp lifts.... but I don't know personally. I know, that no-one has these shocks yet, however my question (speculatively) is; would you wait until reviews and comparo's on this shock come out (3-5 months away?) or would you buy what you planned on; probably the RS 9000's or some bilsteins? I know this is all opinion, but hell, that's why I thought I would ask it here. Shocks are expensive and I don't want to make an uninformed decision. Thanks for ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will probably just be another "white" shock. I put a Pro Comp "4 inch" lift on a 80' CJ-5 and it ended up being about 5.5". The springs are so stiff that about 80% of the time we are off road he is on 3 wheels. And the shocks suck. No rebound and preload what so ever. Get Bilsteins, you will be much happier with the precision quality and performance.

KEbert, One of the big reason's I am not gunning for the Bilstein's is that I don't think they offer a shock for lift applications, and I want to keep some options open if I opt for the high $$$$ lift kit.... ie; I don't want to get attached to one shock and be mad when I have to abandon that shock when I lift.

If you do a search, Kebert had a post with the Bilstein part #'s for a lift. Search for "bilstien with lift" or something like that. They're for a 1-4 in lift app. on a f150. He has them on his X and apparently they work fine. I haven't called bilstien yet to make sure they still carry that model, but its what I plan on using when I lift.

Also, I think they make shock extenders. I have never actually seen one, and I can't make any claim to how well they work or anything else for that matter, but I would be interested in finding out more. I'd like to buy my bilsteins now and just stick an extension on when I decide to lift. Any one have some info on these??

Yes I do have Bilsteins. But I actually had to take the rears off because they are the standard height Explorer one's and they are about a half an inch short of being able to handle the droop. But I plan on getting the rear springs arched and flipping the u-bolts and using the swaybar mount for the shocks. Then the stock height Bilsteins will fit fine.

Since you have a IFS front, my front shocks and your front shocks are way different. I would be supprised if Pro Comp made them for lifted 95 and up Explorers. They have yet to make a lift for a 91-94 4wd so I don't see them doing them for 95-00's anytime soon.

I would say get Bilsteins for the fronts anyway. With the TT lift you can run them and they will perform great. Then if you adventually get a big lift you can sell them here. I am very biased to Bilsteins, as if you couldn't see. I am very impressed with their quality and performance. Not to mention that they will last forever. So get Bilsteins, you will be very happy with them.

No doubt about it; Bilstein makes a good shock.... but a buddy of mine w/ a '00 Tacoma TRD (4x2) already has to replace his bilsteins (and he rarely hits the dirt) he has 30K miles; mostly highway and long trips. And his bilsteins are toast. It is interesting that I believe Ford puts the Bilsteins on the Ranger FX4, yet they put Rancho's on the F150 FX4. Kind of odd. Any how thanks for the info. I guess buying a shock that is not adj. is kindof scary to me, since if I get the bilsteins I won't have a choice about stiffness so I better like them. I just don't want to spend almost $300 bucks and be disappointed. Thanks.

How do you mean they were toast? Bilsteins have a lifetime warrenty. I have never heard of or seen a bad Bilstein.

Would the warranty be different if they were the stock upgrade shocks on his Tacoma? I don't know if the Bilstein warranty would be the same if it came from Toyota. They came as the option upgrade with the TRD package. I think his front is IFS, Coil-overs.... would this make sense for a '00 front end (4x2)... anyways; his front end bobs and rebounds unbelievably. While parked, if you push down on his bumper or hood, his front springs will compress, then come back up (when you release pressure) then bounce down and back up again sometimes this will happen a few times till it flattens, he complained to me saying that they are not at all acting like they did when the truck was new. And as it turns out he has 35K miles on his truck. I wouldn't think his bushings or front would be so loose by now.... especially considering he is pretty nice to his truck. Anyways that is one of the only other reason's I question how happy I would be with the Bilstein's. Thanks for the info and help.:)

That sounds more like a spring problem then the shock. I think your friend got jacked pretty good.

Obviously my suspension knowledge is low, and so is my Tacoma knowledge.... but isn't that some crap for the springs to be gone at that mileage? The TRD package is like $1100 for the 4x4 suspension/ and bilstein's. Oh and you get the cute decals too. I hope Fords Fx4 pkg isn't that much considering the changes are on par. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by becker69
Obviously my suspension knowledge is low, and so is my Tacoma knowledge.... but isn't that some crap for the springs to be gone at that mileage? The TRD package is like $1100 for the 4x4 suspension/ and bilstein's. Oh and you get the cute decals too. I hope Fords Fx4 pkg isn't that much considering the changes are on par. :rolleyes:

Bilstein should warrenty them the same regardless, but anyways, I have only seen one 'Stein fail. It blew a seal and puked out it's fluid. Other than that they are very reliable and they have good customer service. I would not trade my Bilsteins for anything. Before buying the FX4, I drove it back to back with an Edge 4x4, ORP XLT 4x4, and a Sport Trac 4x4. The FX4 ride so much smoother, very similar to the Sport Trac. the control off-road is awesome too, very noticable difference.

The F-150 FX4 package is a joke. More aggressive A/Ts standard, FX4 stickers, minor trim differences, special 17" wheels, and thats about it. But, to let you know, the Ranger FX4 is alot different from the regular Ranger, than a Taco TRD is from a regular Taco. It really is an excellent starting point for modifications. The Ranger FX4 package includes:

4.0L SOHC
Manual T-case (On manual trucks)
31" BFGoodrich All Terrain KOs
15x7 Alcoa Forged Wheels
Bilstein Shocks
Specially Tuned suspension (Softer spring rates, etc.)
8.8" 31 spline rear axle (1 ton South American Ranger axle, actually a narrowed F-150 part)
4.10 gears
Torsen limited slip
24" water fording capability (raised axle breathers w/one-way valves and modified air box)
Skid plates (front, transfercase, and fuel tank)
Stainless Steel Front tow hooks
Slush mats
Sport bucket seats with lumbar and extra bolstering
Unique shift levers

And some other stuff I can't remember right now. :)

1000020105_1228200141300AM0.3716334.jpg

--Sean

Sean, you own the vehicle that I would have in my driveway if I didn't have 2 little girls:) But since I have to negotiate room for car-seats I had to go with the ST. As I have said before, I love your truck.... and for an out-of-box Ford it is awesome that they finally offer a more off-road worthy version.... Now if they would just make an Fx4 SPort Trac ?!:eek:
Oh well, maybe I will just have to make one myself (slowly).

Well, you can live vicariously through me! :D Anyways, I rather have the two little girls, but for now, family is in the future, so I get to enjoy the truck. I hear rumors that Ford's FX4 program will expand to other model lines. So this should be a good thing for all of us. I really love my truck, and I can't wait for the RCD lift and 33s....woo-hoo! And then if Torsen would offer the front diff, and, and.....

--Sean

Back