Wanderer's Caged FW SAS | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanderer's Caged FW SAS

EDIT for spec's
current sofar 1-11-07
exocage done by www.bbpfab.com -Pottsy is an awsome dude..and a great friend..

SAS (solid axle swap)
hd Low pinion D44 (8lug 1 ton)converted to coils and radius arms.
sterling 10.25 moved spring pearches...(prolly gonna movem outboard later)

current setup
4.0L V6-exausted..worn out..
A4LD-still surviving..dunno why..double tranny coolers help.
Stubler..5 3/4in double reduction t-case custom made by www.4-x-fab.com serial # XFAB-01
1354 stock electric shift transfer case
TTB d35 with prototyped application from www.aussielocker.com (those guys worked with me to find an off the shelf unit that would fit the ford TTB35's..currently now offered..and my install linked from their main site)
8.8 with aluminum IFS cover and whooped/worn out L/S
35x12.50x15 TSL swampers..
VIVAIR OBA compressor from Chubby at www.4wheelparts.com PARMA OHIO store.
OBA storage via scuba tank
superlift super-runner steering
rancho 5000 shocks.
6in skyjacker 2 lift. front
added leafs and 1.5in LIFT shackles from WARRIOR (also Chubby at 4wp) re-drilled to stock length..
rocklights that get busted off all the time.
interior lights for wheelin with the kid.
and my pride of the truck..
DANCIN HULA GIRL..shakin her money maker down every trail!!

hacked all the lift and axles out..
rebuilt the HD44 bearings/ball and U-joints (upgrade to spicer 760's Via Cowboy from COWBOY'S MUDRUN at Heath,OH NAPA store)
moved sterling's pearche in about 2in each side..and 3/4in thick Ubolts from S&S spring Mt.Perry,OH..(those guys are great!)
custom crossmember.
custom axlemounts
6in EB coils (softer spring for better ride/flex)
Craiger 15x7 8 on 6.5 rims to keep my 15's
custom beadlocks from www.DIY4X.com

building radius arms currently..ran out of mig wire..

older posts...will try to get most of the info transfered to here...main thread here..

http://www.offroadohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1110
I got a bug in my butt and decided to prep the rear axle for the explorer...(after busting the 3rd driveshaft..)

so I spent 2hrs chopin off the old shock mounts and spring perches...and rewelding the perches for the explorer spring width..now to get the porta-ban from work to start removing the extra webing from the bottom of the sterling..:)

busted shaft.
shaft1.jpg

todays work..
perch1.jpg

perch.jpg

diff1.jpg

I got more done today..brought the porta ban home from work and trimmed the fat off the axles...also got all the old brackets off the 44..

now its time for some BJ's (ball-joints :wiggle to ) and universal joints..then onto brackets welded on the front..then arms...

its commin...

what it looked like before..(well..actually its one of the other sterlings I have..but same thing)
DCP_5246.JPG

DCP_5245.JPG

after trimmin the fat..
DCP_5243.JPG

DCP_5244.JPG

before
DCP_5250.JPG

DCP_5251.JPG

after
DCP_5252.JPG

DCP_5253.JPG

DCP_5254.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHOOT!!...Cowboy is givin me the hookup...OEM balljoints AND spicer upgrage 760 joints...AND gettin HIS price from the local spring shop for U-bolts (they want $50 at the parts stores for 4 freakin u-bolts!!)...

friday it should be ready....(well had to get the u-joints shipped in...so I'll gather it all the same day)...

time to go home and pull some axles!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it's comin' together:thumbsup:

Is that F-350 master any shorter than the stock Explorer master? I really need the extra room even if it's only an inch or so shorter because my shock mount is to close for comfort:rolleyes:

its actually about 1 1/2 in LONGER than the explorer one..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:(

Bummer, guess i'll push the axle forward then...someday:p:

that only depends on if your suspension comes up that far into it...

and my front axle is 2 bolts and a couple turns of the rod end away from being 6in+ from where its at...:cool:

now to hack the driverside bucket off...I might have to modify the otherone because of a bumpout in the frame...but its really close..so I might just fudge it and leave it..

I cut my bucket to fit around the bump out and welded/ bolted it to the frame. I did this after I saw how the stock ones are set up. It would be easy to do with your buckets too, especially since you are already welding them on. This way the are both mounted the same relative to the center of the truck. If you just go on top of the bump out, you will be further from center on the drivers side then the passenger side.

I cut my bucket to fit around the bump out and welded/ bolted it to the frame. I did this after I saw how the stock ones are set up. It would be easy to do with your buckets too, especially since you are already welding them on. This way the are both mounted the same relative to the center of the truck. If you just go on top of the bump out, you will be further from center on the drivers side then the passenger side.

oops...yea...I ended up cutting the bucket to fit around it...havent given her the airtime test yet...but once the steerings in..its gonna get some FLIGHT TIME...just to test the buckets...(better break it at home..than 3hrs away..)

welp...after a frickin marathon week..the steering is in..and yep..I gotta move my trackbar up on the axle..(I got room)

ordered my links too long...had to take them to a machine shop to gettem cut down..2 days later theyre done..then as Im threading the LAST tie rod end in..it seizes...great...tried to unthread it...wont budge...take it to work..heat it up (glowin eventally)...wont budge..actually started to bend the end of the tube thats treaded...so I hacked it out..cut down the tie rod end so it still fits..then once im home I try to get it on...the long arm is STILL 1in too long..out comes the grinder...

dam..what a PITA...but its done..and theres adjustment either way..

probably gonna have to put swaybars on..dunno though..didnt realize till I got back from a quick test run..left the front hubs locked in (front locker)..and it wasnt quite what I wanted...but I'll check it tommorow with it unlocked..

oh..and the winch is mounted...

steering.JPG

frontwinch.JPG

Just got an e-mail from the beadlock vendor...

Just got an e-mail from the beadlock vendor...

hehehe.....$72 per tire...customs..

www.DIY4X.com

DSC03318.JPG

DSC03319.JPG

^--- whats that?

Thats a great price for beadlocks btw. I think we need some "Explorer Forum" lock rings made :D

Looks like a transformer, lol

So, is DIY4x gonna cut you some autobot outer rings?

Also- be sure to bevel the inner ring before you weld them up to the wheels. DIY4x cuts his inner rings to fit fairly tight inside the wheel lip not leaving any gap.

I dont think his wheels are 3-1/2 inches in diameter.....

No, but they could use that part above as a pattern. ;)

No, but they could use that part above as a pattern. ;)

in the build theres a pic..but lemme find it...

3 logos cut into the rings..so theyre beadlocks AND mudrings...(we did one with a bunch of logo's...but we were afraid it wasnt strong enough..and too "busy"..)

thanks for the heads-up on the rim bein little big...thats probably gonna be my winter project next year...(gotta but new tires...my 35's inner bead rims are torn pretty bad..and its an excuse to get the 38's)

Attachments

• autobotbeadlock.gif
    autobotbeadlock.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 263
  • autobotbeadlock2.gif
    autobotbeadlock2.gif
    4 KB · Views: 263

4 would look better

went wheelin...UBER stable...super flexy...some points the other sploder pulled a tire (along with the rest of the guys out there...)..all 4 on the floor..

had a problem with the quicklock..watch the vids..you can hear it bangin..sounds like gunfire..sheared the bolts off on the pass hub...gonna pull it and send it back for a replacement..(somethings wrong with the quickloc..)..and going grade 8 on the allens...Im suprized it didnt bust a shaft..a few guys were watchin it..it would torque..BANG and unload..they said I was shock loading the piss outta the front end...

did a few other "ALTERATIONS"..but no spy photos...only completed job...its gonna be kick ass...makes the truck ride 100000% better!!!..55 and haulin..no death wobble..

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558864060jOlLcs

vids
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/1911bg/painted rock 4-29-07/

hub (dunno if its gonna work..photobucket..)
PaintedRock4-29-07002.jpg

Attachments

• DCP_5913.JPG
    DCP_5913.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 237

i wish you could have seen your truck from behind while youi were going over things. Sweet rig fow show.

I can comment on that quick loc. It got to the point that it sounded like youwere driving and thn put her in park..the clicking sound was like that.

Back