Want the Sport Painted Grill Look but Have an XLT...Advice Needed!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want the Sport Painted Grill Look but Have an XLT...Advice Needed!!!

I have a '97 XLT. I think the painted grills on the Sport models look much better than my chrome version. What are my best options? OEM and paint to match? Aftermarket and paint to match? Local salvage yards don't have any. Any advice on the recommended option, and potential sources for the parts would be greatly appreciated. Tx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was my first thought as well. But I'm not so sure after looking into it a bit today.

An aftermarket grill can be had for about $75. Actually, I even got a quote of only $85 for a Ford OEM grill today (they typically go for $160 - $180, but I'm not sure if I trust the source that gave this quote). Both come primed and ready for paint. If I just bring the grill to a local auto body shop (and do the installation myself), It can be painted for about $75. That's about $150 for a new painted to match grill.

I was told by the salvage yards that if they get them they sell for about $100 to $125 (used and who knows if they will ever get black in -my color). If they don't get black, I will have to have it painted anyway. Also, they said they rarely separate the grills from the front ends, they prefer to sell the entire front end since they are hard to come by (the front end is typically where the wrecks are hit).

So I am leaning toward an aftermarket or original OEM, just really looking for the best source/retailer.

If you find one my dad has a sport with a cracked grill that hasn't been replaced yet and mentioned replacing it with a chrome one, so if you're interested in selling the chrome one give a hollar.

If your quick you can get this one. Dead Link Removed
If not eBay seems to have one most of the time. Just search "ford explorer grill".

Byrd91: OK. I will let you know.

Bill: Thanks!

Back