Wanted: Powerdyne XB-1A Supercharger head unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted: Powerdyne XB-1A Supercharger head unit

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Since it appears that at around 400HP, I've reach the limits of reliable operation of the BD-11a Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger Head Unit (keeping the supercharger RPMs at the 38,000 rpm range as to not overspin it), its time to start looking for a Powerdyne XB1A head unit.

Sure, I could overspin (as I've discovered many of the Mustang and Ford Lightning crowd do) but I really have no interest in rebuilding the BD-11A unit ever 6 months to 1 year (if that) by doing so.

Also, I love the noise (which is slight) of my current Powerdyne. I've been told that the XB1A is much louder due to being gear driven (straight cut) versus the BD11-A being belt driven. I think I'll probably like that even more.

If someone comes across one for sale - please let me know. I'm interested in this particular model as it is a direct swap and replace for the BD11A (same bracket/mounting)

Since it appears that at around 400HP, I've reach the limits of reliable operation of the BD-11a Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger Head Unit (keeping the supercharger RPMs at the 38,000 rpm range as to not overspin it), its time to start looking for a Powerdyne XB1A head unit.

Sure, I could overspin (as I've discovered many of the Mustang and Ford Lightning crowd do) but I really have no interest in rebuilding the BD-11A unit ever 6 months to 1 year (if that) by doing so.

Also, I love the noise (which is slight) of my current Powerdyne. I've been told that the XB1A is much louder due to being gear driven (straight cut) versus the BD11-A being belt driven. I think I'll probably like that even more.

If someone comes across one for sale - please let me know. I'm interested in this particular model as it is a direct swap and replace for the BD11A (same bracket/mounting)
gear driven blowers! maybe itll sound like the small block chevies ;)

Here is some from an early MT article about the XB-1a

Just when we were getting used to the supercharger world as it was, it changed. An example? Try Powerdyne. Long known for its noiseless belt-drive supercharger, and a proponent of the super-easy install, no-noise, low-boost blower experience, Powerdyne has stepped into the fray with a gear-drive blower. This is a purposefully noisy gear-drive blower, the company tells us, one with strong-but-loud straight-cut gears identical to the long-familiar Vortech V-1.

Why did Powerdyne make such a move? To sell blowers, obviously. In recent years, the BD10/11 Powerdyne belt-drive blower has found its niche with truck owners and others looking for a quiet performance boost, but Powerdyne's penetration into the rowdier performance car world has been more shallow. In that world--our world--a gear-drive blower has proven more durable, more ready to accept or at least survive the inevitable tinkering--overspeeding--that hot rodders dish out. If the gear-drive puts out a little extra noise, it's no big deal in our world. In fact, many an enthusiast wants an audible signature from their supercharger, the better to announce their legitimacy to others.

Backing up the gear whine is a much-needed boost in, well, boost. The belt-drive blowers are good for 9 pounds of intake pressure while pushing 800 cfm of air, but the gear-drive is good for at least 18 pounds at 1,200 cfm. That's a huge increase, and it opens the upper reaches of street supercharging to Powerdyne. In other words, while the belt-drive blower can deliver nice street power in the 400hp range, the gear-drive will hammer out the tunes all the way up to the twilight zone of street power, say 600 hp or greater. Any more doesn't really matter, as a street tire can't hang onto that much power anyway, and for all-out racing the XB-1a isn't going to compete with the 2,000-plus-cfm Mondos, Novis, and ATIs in any case. But for thumping out the street and street/strip good times, the XB-1a appears ready to play with the big boys.

B56F1A5E-8F03-41E6-9608-B88EC56AE46A.jpeg

Back