• Register Today It's free!

Warm starting issue

paddd

Reaction score
City, State
Edgeley Saskatchewan Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
I have a 97 ford explorer with a 4.0 engine, for a while now i've been having a starting problem
When i've been driving a while and I shut it off say more than 10 minutes or so and I go back to start it I have to crank it over quite a while to get it to start, kinda like the old caborated engine, however it does always start and runs fine once started. When it is started cold it starts and runs fine.
can anyone help?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Try turning key to run - not start, then off then start it up. Works every time on my 98. Possibly old fuel pump and winter fuel.

Mine does the same thing, no big deal. All that's happening is the fuel has returned back to the fuel tank and the system needs to be re-primed again. That's why Ford went to a returnless fuel system. Not sure about the date though. Just do waht scucci said and you will be fine.

Hey guys:
thanks for the suggestions, I have tried them but to no avail since posting my problem I have changed the fuel filter and tested the pump, the pump produces a pressure of 35 lbs, and it holds pressure when the engine is shut off, When I unpluged the vacuum from the pressure regulator the pressure increased as it is supposed to. any other suggestions of what to look at/
thanks

Back