Warn or Ramsey? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warn or Ramsey?

bgracen

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for an 8,000 pound winch for my 94 Sport, and I was wondering two questions, which is the best winch of the two, (not value for the dollar, just the flat out best) and the second question is who makes good quality winch mounting front bumbers or grille guards for the explorer? Bonus question...Will a Ramsey winch fit on a Warn grille gurad? Thanks.
-Dube

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to sure about the last question but I prefer the WARN products. the company has been out for a much longer time and they stick behind their products as far as waranty. I also like the bumper/winch combos. I have also heard some bad things about the Ramsey winch gears striping and the motors burning out. that was a long time ago so take that with what you wish. When it all comes down to it I would recoment WARN. Hope that helps! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

Warn has been a round a long time (I have a classic style winch of theirs that is 30+ yrs and still works good) and they do stand behind their products. On the other hand my Dad's company uses Ramsey winches on their maintenance trucks and he says they have never seen problems with them and they do get used quite often to pull the trucks out of a stuck.

------------------
Brian
91 XLT 4x4

I have a Warn winch/winch mount. The thing I love about the winch is the warranty. Doesn't really matter if you never use it or use it ten times every weekend - if you break it, they'll replace it. I don't think I've heard of a recent model failing. I remember looking around on their web page at job openings and they had a position for an assembler and the main thing they emphasized was quality, quality, and quality Dead Link Removed. The winch mount is also extremely sturdy and looks good too (I have the brush guard type of winch mount). I'm not sure of Ramsey's winches, but I've heard they make good winches as well, no experience with them though. By the way, I have the XD9000i winch.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

Has anyone heard of a winch made by "Chicago Electric"? Harbour Frieght Tools has an 8000 lbs for $339.00 with cable,cords,hawes fairlead. I have purchased other tools from them and you can tell its made by a leading manufacturer just without the name.

I have the ne HS9500i by warn. I chose that one because I have heard that warn has better customer support and I have also witnessed 2 ramsey's shatter their planetary gears in one day and then after being fixed it did it again. That was the Ramsey platinum 9000. Just my 2 cents. Yes, the ramsey winch will fit, the mounting bolt pattern is the same, but the roller fairleed bolt pattern is different. You can either drill new holes for the ramsey fairleed or just get a warn fairleed.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter, Warn HS9500i winch, Sony deck & 10 disk CD changer w/ 12" sub.

I have the Ramsey REP 9000 and I was one of those unlucky individuals that experienced the stripped gears because the gear shaft did not have enough spacers. Anyway, Ramsey repaired it at no charge under its lifetime warranty on material and quality.

For the same rated winch (i.e. 9000lbs) the WARN has faster line speed and a stronger motor (more hp) but it also cost more than the Ramsey. WARN has more dealers and service centers than Ramsey, if you want to consider the after-purchase service.

If I need to buy a new winch, I would buy a WARN.

I have the TJM T-17 steel bumper that the winch mounts directly to. The winch comes with the roller fairlead (for an extra $25) or no charge for the Hausse (spelling???) fairlead.

[This message has been edited by kvo (edited 03-28-2000).]

I have a ramsey winch on my CJ-5 and I have never had any problems with it. Although it works fine I am still going to buy the warn for my explorer. With the stronger motors and faster line speeds, and the better customer service, and the better reputation, and the more experience, etc. I think it is worth the extra money.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

Where is a good place to look for a used winch? Is it a bad idea to buy a used winch? Does Warn warrant thier winches like Sears tools, i.e no matter who bought 'em you can get warranty service? Thanks.

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order)

Unfortunatelt, Warn will only honor the original purchaser for their warranty. How do they ptove you are the original purchaser? With the receipt of course. Therefore, if you can get the receipt with the used winch, you should be able to get the warranty honored.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter, Warn HS9500i winch, Sony deck & 10 disk CD changer w/ 12" sub.

Has anyone cosidered the ampere draw used by either the Ramsey or Warn. If you have a enough battery and alternator, high output, then anything will do but if you are short in those departments, i.e. stock equipment, then you will have to consider the ampere draw of each unit before deciding which unit to buy.
I have been running a Ramsey, REP8000, winch for over ten years with out a problem.

Good Luck,

------------------
Sandy Balzarini
n1mau@gis.net
'92 Navajo Project

[This message has been edited by Sandy (edited 04-01-2000).]

I spoke too soon, my ramsey died.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

Back