• Register Today It's free!

warning beeps 97 ford explorer

ppomento

Reaction score
City, State
new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
I keep getting a warning beep; last week every once in a while I was getting a warning beep while driving. Looked at all gauges and nothing looked odd, eventually vehicle went dead. I thought maybe just a dead battery, replaced battery after it tested dead. Went back and tested charging system with new battery and it was only pumping at 9 amps: car parts store said I needed a new alternator, so I changed that. Vehicle is still beeping. What warning beeps does the 97 ford explorer have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, there are no warning beeps for engine management or mechanical problems..the audible alarms are for things like seatbelts not being worn, headlights left on, doors open, etc.

Where is the beeping coming from, and does your Explorer have the message console in the center below the dash?

thanks for the help. maybe the beep is from the rear window not being able to lock and it could be popping open during driving.

A "door open" (port open) is a "buzz" not a beep.... so if it beeping, its something else.

mine beeps if I have the keys in the ignition and the door open. More like dings but same thing. If your rear window doesn't close all the way it is probably that. Is the latch broken or what? You could try opening the window, then close the latch manually and seeing if it still dings.

what state was the truck in???? was key in ignition? truck running? doors open? lights on?

Nocturnal, As for the comment about the buzz versus beep, maybe there is a difference with model years but was your ignition on / truck running when the door was opened?

that's "the key in ignition" warning. If the truck is running, you should get a "buzz" which is the "door open" warning.

I remember reading recently about a bad wire on the ignition (blue wire?) creating this problem.

If it's a distinct beep (not a key-in chime, or door open beep) it's likely the air bag system telling you that the air bag light in the dash is out, and the system has detected a fault someplace else in the system. When you start the engine, does the airbag warning light illuminate? If not, there's the problem.

-Joe

Back