WARNING Use care crossing water

zensius

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4 dr. EB
This is just a warning and reminder to all those with stock air intakes on their X's. Be carefull river crossing. The air intake is low and in front like a shovel. It's great for sucking up water and killing your X when crossing even knee deep water. I had it happen on the Fordyce trail a few weeks back and it really sucks. Hydrolocking is a giant buzz kill. And if you get water in you engine you can cause lot$$ of damage. I lucked out on my first crossing and for all the following I removed the air intake from the air box just after the MAS. It worked okay but only as a temporary fix. Just thought I'd let those who weren't aware of this know before they learned the way I did. The 'wet' season is coming ya' know.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have also had this happen. I cannot stress enough how important protecting your intake from the water flow is. HYDROLOCKED ENGINES ARE NO FUN

Even though I don't have a sealed or snorkeled intake, the mods I do have do help with this problem. If you have an open filter element, the filter will be less likely to actively suck in water. I have an open KN with a homemade aluminum heatshield in the bottom towards the engine. This weekend, I was in water above the top of my rims (15s with 31s) and had no probs with water. I did get a little in the back hatch though when I got stuck coming out. I did a bunch of crossings and didn't have a hint of engine trouble. Kris did get stuck though and had some MAS hiccups, but nothing serious.

Do you have pictures of your intake setup Alec? Maybe I can do it that way into I can think of a snorkel or something.

Just drilling the airbox did it for me. With the holes in the airbox, it allows air to come in from as high as the box itself is, just like having no box and only a filter. I've been through muddy water as deep as the bumper with no problems. (except ruining my starter) If anyone wants a pic of my airbox, just let me know and I'll email it to ya.

you shouldn't have a problem unless you slam into the water at a high speed. you should go at a moderate speed, keep up the speed and keep an "air bubble" in your engine compartment. it's a little tougher though to do the way the explorer is made and the air box location. hope this makes some sense.

I'm familiar with the air bubble or wake method. This keeps the wave in front of the car so there's a low spot behind it where the car is. This can work to a point but the X is so susceptible to sucking in water it's a fine line before there's water damage. IMO any water over the bumper is asking for trouble.

:eek: Don't I know it.....and intimately. ...hydrolock is not fun.....so here I am with a new engine but $2800 poorer....yeah that money could have been used for a custom snorkle setup and plenty of other mods too....

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: mud or water for my ex (or for that matter my Bronco either)
until I get myself a snorkle... got :fire: enough on that trip

Karol

Back