crossing deep water | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

crossing deep water

Ive gone through alot of mud and deep water. As far as mud is concerned if i dont know how deep it is or whats in it i wont go through it. As far as water ill wade through it and see how deep it is though this doesnt always work. I was crossing some pretty deep water when the engine bogged down and stalled out. The water was halfway up the driver's side door. The water came up to the transmission hump but fortunantly i was pulled out before it could get any farther. All that i suffered was a soaked interior and unfortunantly i got water im my t-case and that was bad. I tried to pull another guy out after it happened and my t-case started slipping. Fortunantly i was down in the NJ pines where its all sand and i was able to get back out to the road. So far thats the worst thats happened and i hope it stays that way *knock on wood*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BlakeD.Ahhh lots of posts. Back to your original question " how deep is too deep?"
Open your hood, look at where your intake is: height off the ground. That is how deep you can go. That will be your water line to watch for when attempting water crossings...anywhere- trails or street floods. Even the almighty Hummer needs a snorkel to make those dramatic water crossings.

Yeah, if you're lucky and get no splashing or waves. And all those electronics you sink keep working,;)

Hoooray! I;m going to the slabs next month!!!

I have a few slight issues to deal with before I drive through that stuff. Dont be AFRAID of the deep water be PREPARED for the deep water.

My breathers have all been extended, the wiring harness has been water proofed, my intake is up as high as the headlights, and I even have some tricks in mind to keep the water out of the cab, all holes in the firewall have been attended too, and I have some seals for the door jambs I have been working on. I re-located my ignition module up as high as I could. the only thing I worry about is the fan.....but if you do it right it shouldnt be a problem, oh and I WONT be following the red bull without checking the water first! hahahaha!!!

This should be interesting!!!!!

Oh and has anybody ever set up a posotive water displacement setup on a Ex? Or whatever it;s called, you know like a Hummer, everything is pressurized slightly to keep all water out....

I've never heard of positive water displacement. But I have heard that you should lower a window a bit and run the A/C at full. This creates a cabin pressure or something like that. Don't really understand it but I've seen them do it on the snorkle website.

Yerah basically air is pumper into the crankcase, tranny, diffs, etc.. so that air is coming out the vettubes instead of water being able to get in....shouldnt really be that difficult to setup, may require some holes to be drilled for the air input......some research is in order..........

Nobody has ever done this?

I like VonZippers explanation of the heat/water transfer issue.. BUT... I think it may be a little mileading..

Raising the Vent tubes ins't a cure... but not raising them is a mistake...

If you don't raise the vent tube.. Water can come in the vent tube... You already have water trying to get past the seals... you don't want it to also come in the vent tube...

Also, If your vent tube will flow more air than the stock tube (e.g. less restrictions) you may actually help keep out water by allowing more air to come in the vent tube and less water coming in through the seals..

What I'm trying to say is.. raising your vent tubes is a good idea.. but don't think that because you did it that you aren't getting any water in... You are just letting less in than you would if you didn't raise the vent tube.

~Mark

If you cross water up to the bumpers the wheel bearings, and all fluids should be changed ASAP.......

So every time I drive through a mudhole I should probably change my tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, front diff fluid, and transfer case fluid? I drive through mudholes almost weekly and I don't see myself doing that.

No no no, splashing through puddles is one thing, the water just gets splashed up everywhere....if you cross a river or a stream for an extended period of time, giving the water enough time to get up over yout transmission and axles, actually driving through deep water, not bobbing in and out of mud puddles.....you just gotta use common sense.......

I think changing all the fluids is a bit excesive. Every one saw the picture of my Navajo doing the Nose dive in the River. I just repacked the Wheel bearing in the Front three days ago. Before that the last time they were packed was when I did the 4x4 conversion 3 years ago. After getting water inside the Truck I checked the Fluid. You can tell when water is in the Fluids. The Oils did not get water in them so I did not change them.

So you used common sense then :) at least you checked! 99% of the time thats all that is required........

Back