• Register Today It's free!

warrior 153 instillation problems

willow

Reaction score
City, State
wake forest, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hey everyone, I just started trying to modify my 2000 explorer. Tonight I tried to install my warrior 153 shackles and ran into a problem. On the pass. side shackle, i got the bottom bolt out, but couldn't get the top bolt out all the way. I was able to unscrew it and wiggle it out about an inch and a half until it caught the bushing and broke the inner-metal layer of the bushing free. Now the inner metal casing in the bushing and the bolt a free-spinning inside the rest of the bushing and I can't get it out.

Does anyone know what my best option is going to be to fix this? Do I HAVE to replace the whole bushing now that the inner casing has broken free?

And the other wierd thing I noticed was that after I replaced the driver side shackle with no problems and lowered it back down, my leaf springs have a slight down curve in them. I'm pretty sure this is a problem, but I don't know what to do to fix this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna take a guess and say if the bushing is shot then yes you need to replace it, can you cut the bolt out and pound it out the other side?

Also, your leaf spring is actually bending down? The warrior shackles are more visible then the stock ones for sure but if it actually is arcing the other way maybe your leaf springs are really really saggy

I was debating doing that exact thing. I just wasnt sure if I would create more problems for myself if I cut the head of the bolt off.

And ya, its bending down. I'm wondering if I need a a whole new set of leaf springs or if add-a-leaf would fix that problem.

thanks dred, thats exactly what i ended up doing with the bolt. I cut the head of it off with a grinder and punded it back out the other side with ease. the bushing came right out with the bolt so i went down to the auto part store and had to buy a whole new stock shackle assembly for 23 bucks because they didnt sell just the bushing by itself. The new bushing slid in no problem and I got my warrior shackles mounted.

With the shackles I also did a TT and got 2 inches in the front which gave me enough clearance for my 18in KMC rockstar wheels and 32.5's

I had installed my warrior shackles in about october and i remember when I was taking out the bolts that was the scariest part cuz the leaf spring would shoot out of place a little.

Back