• Register Today It's free!

Washer Pump

masterpete

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLS
Well when i tried to clean my windshield i held the button to release some washer fluid and nothing came out. I ran wires to my washer pump from the battery and it is working, but nothing comes out. Anyone have this problem before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take a needle and clean the jet openings on the outputs.

Well I found this weird. I took the pump out and ran wires from the battery straight to the pump and it worked. I plugged it back in and nothing. I checked the plug with a tester and that seems to work too. Dont know whats going on now.

well... I think that you are looking for the wrong "thing". Not voltage but ground perhaps. When you ran your "direct wiring" did you run one or two wires????

well... I think that you are looking for the wrong "thing". Not voltage but ground perhaps. When you ran your "direct wiring" did you run one or two wires????

Two wires. What should I be looking for?

you need a meter... not a light. measure the ground connector contact to a know ground.... or follow the wire.

woah horse... try this first!
Plug it all back in...and try it again with the normal actuator on the column.
If it doesnt work wiggle it a bit maybe hit it kind of and then try and hold it in and see if it works.
I have had 3 ex's and my current 2 are sort of giving me the same problem. Sometimes it works sometimes i have to hit it and fidget with it to get it to work.
I think it has something to do with the actual actuator that is on the column(in my case).
could be wrong and i really have no clue how to fix it but this is what i have found to be true... anyone with more info please give it!

ive got a first gen x i though i had a none working spray motor got new unit put it in an still nothing after some fiddling around it seems if u force the pump in to tight an press that metal lock clip over it with to much pressure it will not work . lubed seal up spun it every which way had me stumped for awhile any one need a good spray pump ?? i have an extra now lol

wolfnutts are you still in nh...do you wheel with NEX?

The pump doesn't turn on at all when you press in the wash button? Or do you hear a sound but nothing comes out?

i had the same problem on my 95 XLT it was the entire multi-switch on the column that was bad.

Back