Water dripping from muffler

03ExplorerSPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT Premium
Ok I noticed again today that when ever I park on a slant, such as my driveway, water drips out of the muffler. It isn't just a little it's a lot. It doesn't matter if the car has been driven for 100 miles or less that a tenth of a mile. I can put it in the driveway after sitting all day and night and a lot of water still drips out. Is there something wrong with my truck's muffler or exhaust system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your talking about water dripping from the tailpipe, that is normal.

it is a by product the emission are making in the final stages of the exhaust, the catalytic convertor finishes burning the gases and one of the by products is water.

i think i am pretty sure. one of the other members of this site will be able to describe it better i'm sure.

if i wrong please correct me.

Actually i believe it's condensation. Much like a glass of cold water gets moisture on it. When you start you car in the morning warm air that was in you exhaust the night before cooled and left moisture in your exhaust. When you started it up cold in the morning the exhaust isn't hot enough to vaporize it and it just blows it out.

for some reason i could think condensation, but i just couldnt get the information to get to the keyboard.

Originally posted by williecume
it is a by product the emission are making in the final stages of the exhaust, the catalytic convertor finishes burning the gases and one of the by products is water.
Catalytic converters have nothing to do with burning exhaust. They simply clean it up a little.

The water is simply condensation like Zenius mentioned. The same thing came happen when it is really cold outside and you have hot exhaust gases moving through the exhaust system.

Originally posted by Robb
Catalytic converters have nothing to do with burning exhaust. They simply clean it up a little.

Catalytic converters do burn the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. That is why they get so hot. It is not a filter, it is a combustion chamber.

The water is simply condensation like Zenius mentioned. The same thing came happen when it is really cold outside and you have hot exhaust gases moving through the exhaust system.

i know the convertor cleans up the exhaust a little but i thought it also broke down what couldnt be burned to particals that are less harsh on the environment.

Originally posted by Paul Gagnon
Catalytic converters do burn the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. That is why they get so hot. It is not a filter, it is a combustion chamber.
Paul, you sure about that? I have never heard of anything being burnt in a converter.

Paul, you sure about that? I have never heard of anything being burnt in a converter.

Yes I am positive.

It removes Hydrocarbons through a heating procees when the gasses pass through the ceramic plates or pellets. Depending on what type you may have.

don't worry all is good with your exhaust system but i think you should up grade the system, that is one of the funnest up grades.
thay sound good and it is a good hp gain.

water

Yep, water vapor is a main ingredient of gasoline engine exhaust. Some of this vapor condenses in the exhaust system and you get water out yer tailpipe. This is most noticeable on cold startups. Your three-way catalytic converter does in fact "burn" leftover hydrocarbons as Paul stated. But a more precise term would be to oxidize, as it is a chemical reaction between the hydrocarbons and the catalyst bed. This oxidation process does heat up your cats, but not as much as the exhaust gasses do.

Originally posted by arieswebb
don't worry all is good with your exhaust system but i think you should up grade the system, that is one of the funnest up grades.
thay sound good and it is a good hp gain.

Yeah I would love to get a stainless exhaust but my mother said no performance, powertrain, or engine mods. The only way for my mother to let me get a stainless system is for the OEM muffler to die.

Thanks for the help guys!

Originally posted by 03ExplorerSPT
Yeah I would love to get a stainless exhaust but my mother said no performance, powertrain, or engine mods. The only way for my mother to let me get a stainless system is for the OEM muffler to die.

Thanks for the help guys!

my muffler died after i took a hammer to it:

BIG HOLE. :D

03ExplorerSPT's mother will get mighty suspicious of the big hole since the truck is less than a year old. :D

LoL!! That would be suspicious if a hole suddenly appeared and I don't drive the truck that far and it's only 4 months and 1 day old. I'll just wait 'til it dies or when she finally gives in and says ok. I like the sound of the stock exhaust since it sounds much better than the stock exhaust I had on my '95. I'm ok with it for now.

Back