water leak issue please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

water leak issue please help

gawe22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ex Sport
so i just bought my 98 ex sport last week and its raining like crazy here in Jersey. i have a damp headliner right behind the rear passenger seat belt harness and what looks like water dripping onto the plastic panel below it. any ideas? is it difficult to drop the headliner? thanks guys...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was a thread on that just the other day. I am assuming you have a sunroof as that is usually the problem. The drain channel gets stopped up with junk and the water leaks into the vehicle.

i was thinking that might be it. is it difficult to drop the liner?

I haven't had the problem and I don't know if you have to drop the headliner or not. I am wondering if you might be able to blow compressed air in the channel to clear it, but I don't know.

You might also be able to pull the trim from around the seat belt and get to it. I just don't know.

it is not that hard to drop the headliner, just time consuming...

take your choice:::

you can take out (or loosen as much as you can) the rear interior panels. then unloosen the B pillar panels (enough to bend them w/out breaking them), as well as the A pillar panels. then it is a matter of getting the headliner down(if you choose to just unloosen things)..

i prefer to actually take the panels off because well, who wants a bent up headliner or broken panels??? not me.. i would rather spend a little more time and do it right.

good luck!

its a 2 door which makes it even more interesting, should i go get a push pin tool? any other specific tools?

ok so i attached some pics, but the problem now is i also have a wet carpet on the drivers side floor, could this also be the sunroof?
in a unrelated issue, when i come to a slow stop, there is a bit of a thud under the truck, could this be a trans issue?

maybe check the door seals to make sure they're fitting good and not dried out and cracking...my door seals are pretty much shot and my headliner gets soaked in a couple places after a good rain

If its not the sunroof, check the channel that runs from front to back on the roof. Its on the outside of the roof rack slide guide. I know back when I worked at the dealer, they would have very small hairline cracks in the body at the joint in the seam. After it would get painted you could not see the crack, but eventually the paint would crack in those spots. Check it out. If you got the headliner out, have a friend hold the water hose to run down the channel while your inside. Obviously look for water coming in. Start from the rear and work forward.

thanks man, as soon as the weather breaks here im going to pull the headliner...

Back