• Register Today It's free!

AWD Issue PLEASE HELP ME!

jdlowe

Reaction score
City, State
Saint John, New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I am hving an issue with the AWD on my 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer. For some reason, when it switches into 4wd-hi, it goes into a "neutral" position where the transmission turns but no power gets to the wheels, my only recourse when this happens is to put it into 4LO which will still work, when i try to put it back into 4HI or Auto it just makes a slight grinding noise, only 4LO will move the truck. I also just replaced my shift motor becuase this happened recently and I thought that was the problem, but I guess it isn't. It almost seems that the shift motor is over or under-shooting the position it needs to go into, PLEASE HELP ME!! thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering, am I doing something wrong? I am having a hard time getting any help on this one......

You don't have an AWD, you have a 4x4. AWD don't have any switches for 4x4, they are "on" all the time.

why is it that your vehicle spec reads awd as well?

why is it that your vehicle spec reads awd as well?

because his is a V8. all V8's are AWD (or RWD). all V6's are 4WD (or RWD). there are no dash switches on AWD's for 4WD HI/LO. AWD's are full time with normally 65% power going to the rear wheels and 35% going to the front wheels. the transfer case uses a viscous coupling to connect the front and rear wheels.

Two plastic guides on the transfer cases shift fork go bad and allow it to **** a little this lets the other end of the fork to skip or fall out of the cam that actuates it. When mine did it it would move just enough that I would loose reverse. It depends on how screwed up the parts are as to what it dose.

because his is a V8. all V8's are AWD (or RWD). all V6's are 4WD (or RWD). there are no dash switches on AWD's for 4WD HI/LO. AWD's are full time with normally 65% power going to the rear wheels and 35% going to the front wheels. the transfer case uses a viscous coupling to connect the front and rear wheels.[/QOh, okay, thank you for clarifying that for me, I was incorrect, I didn't realize that option was offerred as well.

Are there any other symptoms, or warning lights being displayed? ABS light? Check engine light? OD off light flashing?

I have a check engine light becuase of a bad O2 sensor. When I drive in 4LO at above 20KM/h, the OD light off light flashes..

Two plastic guides on the transfer cases shift fork go bad and allow it to **** a little this lets the other end of the fork to skip or fall out of the cam that actuates it. When mine did it it would move just enough that I would loose reverse. It depends on how screwed up the parts are as to what it dose.

That sounds like it could be a possible cause, I hope not becuase that would likely require a rebuild of the T-Case :S

Back