Ignition lock issue!! Please help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition lock issue!! Please help!!

Kristina2dope208

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer eddie bauer
Ok so my friends explorer wouldn’t start with the key in the ignition like it was impossible to turn over. So he drilled it out and was able to start it with a screw driver. He started it and it ran for about 10 mins then the alarm started going off on it. Btw it’s a 96 explorer Eddie Bauer. From what I gathered it’s a pre pats unit. Anyways so I went on Amazon and bought a new ignition cylinder and when I put it in it seems like the keys just freely turns it doesn’t catch on anything. I need to get this car out of my driveway but am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get new keys with the ignition cylinder? I'm guessing that if you replaced the ignition switch that it would need the keys to go with it.

Peter

Did you get new keys with the ignition cylinder? I'm guessing that if you replaced the ignition switch that it would need the keys to go with it.

Peter
Yes it came with new keys. I put the battery cable on put the car in run and put the cylinder in and it feels like it freely spins around not like it would normally

which cylinder ddi you get? did you just get the ring, or the entire tumbler (i assume i know the answer, but just confirming) i think 96 is pre pats, so should be good there, no theft light flashing righjt?

From reading other threads in this forum, it looks like PATS was introduced on the 1998 Explorer.

Peter

From reading other threads in this forum, it looks like PATS was introduced on the 1998 Explorer.

Peter
That’s what I seen to but it’s got an anti theft light and it flashes

if theft light is flashing that may be why it doesnt start, can you get codes read?

is it oem or aftermarket crap that was added by a previous owner?
aftermarket, but added by this owner if i can read properly (its a hit or miss :p )

Yes it came with new keys. I put the battery cable on put the car in run and put the cylinder in and it feels like it freely spins around not like it would normally
I suspect that when it was forced with the screwdriver, it broke the ignition switch that the little nub at the end of the cylinder, slides into and turns.

However if it got started with a screwdriver, it doesn't have PATS (unless the attempt also required holding the key up very near the cylinder while using the screwdriver), but maybe the original reason it wouldn't start was the switch had already gone bad.

3rd option is this is some kind of frankenstein vehicle, not all original. The theft light on the dash is the puzzling part. Are you sure you got the model year right? It should be on the door sticker, or a VIN lookup should identify it. Wait, I assumed you meant a light on the dash, is it instead a light mounted somewhere else? If so then you may have two problems, one the lock cylinder is not engaging or the ignition switch is bad, plus the aftermarket alarm - OR - maybe the aftermarket alarm is just confused because the ignition switch isn't giving the expected sequence due to being broken.

I would fix the possible ignition switch issue first because that definitely needs done, then see if the next step is needed.

If it has an aftermarket alarm, try to identify it and remove (rewire) it out of the system, which generally means just taking the original wires of same color/stripe in and out of it and connecting them back together, though you may have to follow the aftermarket kit's wires to where they go to match the original wire colors.

I suspect that when it was forced with the screwdriver, it broke the ignition switch that the little nub at the end of the cylinder, slides into and turns.

However if it got started with a screwdriver, it doesn't have PATS (unless the attempt also required holding the key up very near the cylinder while using the screwdriver), but maybe the original reason it wouldn't start was the switch had already gone bad.

3rd option is this is some kind of frankenstein vehicle, not all original. The theft light on the dash is the puzzling part. Are you sure you got the model year right? It should be on the door sticker, or a VIN lookup should identify it. Wait, I assumed you meant a light on the dash, is it instead a light mounted somewhere else? If so then you may have two problems, one the lock cylinder is not engaging or the ignition switch is bad, plus the aftermarket alarm - OR - maybe the aftermarket alarm is just confused because the ignition switch isn't giving the expected sequence due to being broken.

I would fix the possible ignition switch issue first because that definitely needs done, then see if the next step is needed.

If it has an aftermarket alarm, try to identify it and remove (rewire) it out of the system, which generally means just taking the original wires of same color/stripe in and out of it and connecting them back together, though you may have to follow the aftermarket kit's wires to where they go to match the original wire colors.
I have the vin where do you look it up at?
It’s 1fmdu35pbvua11238.
The sticker on the door says the date was 07/96.
Are you talking about that little gear looking deal that the lock cylinder thing fits into? I don’t know what it’s supposed to look like or how it’s supposed to go in there but I’m able to take the gear deal all the way out and I’m not sure if it’s supposed to come out. Is that what could be my issue?
Where can I get a replacement ignition switch from I looked on rock auto and didn’t see anything like that.
P.s thanks a bunch for the help so far

so I googled ford vin decoder and found out it’s a 97. But it’s still pre pats right? When I said light on the dash it’s a red anti theft light that blinks.

9C5A6304-BB74-43A5-B012-4A7C49D4A48D.png

I have the vin where do you look it up at?
It’s 1fmdu35pbvua11238.
The sticker on the door says the date was 07/96.
Are you talking about that little gear looking deal that the lock cylinder thing fits into? I don’t know what it’s supposed to look like or how it’s supposed to go in there but I’m able to take the gear deal all the way out and I’m not sure if it’s supposed to come out. Is that what could be my issue?
Where can I get a replacement ignition switch from I looked on rock auto and didn’t see anything like that.
P.s thanks a bunch for the help so far
I just stickied a how to at the top of this forum for you to look+ refer to
Let us know if you found it

I just stickied a how to at the top of this forum for you to look+ refer to
Let us know if you found it

Ok so my friends explorer wouldn’t start with the key in the ignition like it was impossible to turn over. So he drilled it out and was able to start it with a screw driver. He started it and it ran for about 10 mins then the alarm started going off on it. Btw it’s a 96 explorer Eddie Bauer. From what I gathered it’s a pre pats unit. Anyways so I went on Amazon and bought a new ignition cylinder and when I put it in it seems like the keys just freely turns it doesn’t catch on anything. I need to get this car out of my driveway but am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
I had the same issue on my 96 Ranger when I replaced the key switch. You have an allinment issue behind the key switch. Everything has to be in the run position when the key cylinder is installed. This includes the start switch, the key switch, and gear and activator rod.

I had the same issue on my 96 Ranger when I replaced the key switch. You have an allinment issue behind the key switch. Everything has to be in the run position when the key cylinder is installed. This includes the start switch, the key switch, and gear and activator rod.
The are a couple good videos on good old UTube that show all the parts and how to alline them.

I had the same issue. My Nephew lost my keys when I let him use my '01 Explorer EB. New cylinder was a waste of money. I had to tape my key to the ring module and use a screw driver otherwise the anti-theft would trip. Cycle through the off and run position a few times and it should reset and make sure the key is on the ring module. A week later he finds the key in his jacket and I'm left shredding my ignition with a screwdriver. Gotta love life

Back