• Register Today It's free!

Water Leak

blindtoe

Reaction score
City, State
Hertmosa Beach Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Bronco 11 XL
Everything running good. Water started leaking from rear of Eng. Can not find the source. Any Ideas. New radiator and Hoses. Not leaking in car but outside by Clutch cover.
.:yelexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it is probably a freeze plug rusting through. Not an easy repair, I believe it will require pulling the engine.

Freeze Plug

If this is a freeze plug behind the engine, you might be able to just remove the transmission and flywheel/flex plate. There are most likely two of them behind the engine, I don't remember. Make sure they are all replaced back there so it doesn't happen again.

If you don't want to tackle this yourself, I would go to a transmission shop, they can have the transmission out and do the work more quickly than a general repair shop. They do this everyday!. Since you are not in the "rust belt" it should be an easy job.

Probably someone didn't change the coolant per the schedule or someone just used water and the plug corroded.

Just my 2C worth.

Bill

I will give it a try

Thanks for the info. :D

There is also a "hack" way to try to resolve this - some radiator sealant such as Barr's Leak or other newer technology leak sealers. It might work if the leak is just a pin hole at this point.

Since you live in a constant 70 degree climate, don't worry about reduced heating capacity from the stop leak :)

Also, if you reduce the pressure on the cooling system (loosen cap) or go to a 4 pound cap, it might help with some sealer also.

Bill

Hi,
My 1998 4.0 V-6 has a freeze plug at the very back of the cyl block, on top. It is just under the intake at the very back. It is where the distrib on an old small block V-8 chevy sits. It can hold water in the recessed area. It can rust/corrode over time, especially if not used often. Hard to see, and harder to reach. It was hard to find. You will need a mirror to see it.
RTJ49

Back