Water leaking in my hatch

spta97

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 AWD
I searched around on this forum and did not find any answers. During rain (some times) I find water on the cargo cover. I would imagine it was leaking from either the rear hatch seal or the rear window seal but I cannot seem to find where it is coming from. The headliner is dry.

Any ideas? Should I just replace those two seals?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the line running to the window for the rear defroster. Mine gets inbetween the seal and the window and causes a leak. Chances are, your's is too.

IAmTodd said:
Check the line running to the window for the rear defroster. Mine gets inbetween the seal and the window and causes a leak. Chances are, your's is too.
Never thought of that...mines leaks to the point of leaving streaks on the inside of the window, really faint ones you can only see when the windows foggy

My wife's leaks now to :rolleyes: I tried to adjust the glass becasue it had a bad air leak at the bottom corner. you'd drive down the freeway, and it would sound like a window was open. Well I got that fixed but now it leaks from the top :mad: So now I need to fix it back I guess :rolleyes:

Mine does the same thing, It leaves streaks on the passenger half of the rear window. My windshield makes a hi pitched noise while going down the freeway. Talk about annoying...

IAmTodd said:

I checked where the defroster connector is and it does not seem to interfere with the rubber seal. I guess I'll have to hook the hose up and clamp it to the roof rack to finally track this down. On the bright side, at least it stays on the cargo cover when it does leak.

I checked where the defroster connector is and it does not seem to interfere with the rubber seal. I guess I'll have to hook the hose up and clamp it to the roof rack to finally track this down. On the bright side, at least it stays on the cargo cover when it does leak.
Did you ever find a solution?

Did you ever find a solution?
Never mind. I just wiped down the inside of the liftgate where it meets the rubber seal. Once the dirt and grit is gone, the seal worked as engineered. Not a drop of water on my cargo cover.

Back