• Register Today It's free!

Water Pump Cost?!?!

tricky5508

Reaction score
City, State
goleta, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
I Just Brought My 98 X To The Dealership For A Check Up. I Told Them There Were Some Funny Noises Coming From The Engine. Sounded Like Metal On Metal/screaming Cats when I accelerated. Anyways, They Say That The Water Pump Is Failing And It Will Cost $336 To Replace and install. I Was Wondering If This Was A Good Price? Any Suggestions To Have It Replaced Anywhere Else. I Live In San Diego. Any Info Would Help. Thank You In Advance

Thats ALOT. I don't know how much they are for newer X's, but I replaced on in my old X for $50 brand new and did it in 2 hours.

Call the parts store and check prices. If you're not mechanically inclined, don't worry. It's very easy and a Haynes manual can walk you through it.

I'm not very good with mechanics and I am losing alot of antifreeze. I brought it to one guy and he said it looks like the head gasket, but it never overheats and it runs just fine, besides the occasional stall, but I think that's cause the fuel filter was shot and I just had it replaced, anyway, I just had it looked at by a friend of mine who has been working on cars for 30 years and he said it's definitely the water pump. Now, being that I just got the truck in October I am bringing it back to the dealer. Even though there is no extended coverage on it this is something, I was told, that was there and just got worse over time. Hopefully they fix it, but if not I wanted to know what the cost was oir around to fix/replace it. I live in Ny and drive a 2001 Explorer sport.

Back