• Register Today It's free!

Water pump pulley won't come out

tribal599

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Shore, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
I have a 99 Merc Mount 5.0. The water pump pulley doesn't come off the pump. I'm replacing a new pump. I searched on the websites but not even ford Parts don't sell them anymore. Can I use a Bolt-Type Wheel Puller Set that can remove a harmonic balancer on the stubborn water pump pulley. What are the risks in doing so if any. Any links in this forum to this problem or website retailer that sells the pulley to this problem thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try a puller but be careful because you don't want to warp the pulley or it will never spin straight again. I would spray PB Blaster between the pulley and water pump and then just heat it up with a torch. That should break the rust free and with a good wack of a rubber hammer should come loose.

You can try a puller but be careful because you don't want to warp the pulley or it will never spin straight again. I would spray PB Blaster between the pulley and water pump and then just heat it up with a torch. That should break the rust free and with a good wack of a rubber hammer should come loose.

Is the pulley pressed in originally or is just the rust?

Is the pulley pressed in originally or is just the rust?

Just the rust. Get the PB sprayed in there and some heat, give it a good wack and it'll come off. All mine have stuck too but usually come off with some PB and a wack of a large hammer.

Just the rust. Get the PB sprayed in there and some heat, give it a good wack and it'll come off. All mine have stuck too but usually come off with some PB and a wack of a large hammer.

So if I'm going to whack it with a rubber mallet you suggest I take the water pump off the block or leave it on?

So if I'm going to whack it with a rubber mallet you suggest I take the water pump off the block or leave it on?

Probably much easier to leave it on. Get the pulley off first, then take the pump off. Just spray some PB Blaster behind the pulley where the pump and pulley mate and let it sit. Then heat up around where it bolts and give it a few good hits and it should come off.

Probably much easier to leave it on. Get the pulley off first, then take the pump off. Just spray some PB Blaster behind the pulley where the pump and pulley mate and let it sit. Then heat up around where it bolts and give it a few good hits and it should come off.

Thanks for the reply.

Back