Water Pump Replacement Tips | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water Pump Replacement Tips

Thanks Biggs,

I still don't get how the air hammer comes into play. Are there instructions with the Harbor Freight kit that show how to connect the air hammer?

Anything that makes this job faster and easier is worth lots of money to me!

Mike

im not sure if it has instructions (thats not the same kit i have), but once you hold the kit in your hands its easy to figure out, im what you could call a backyard mechanic, and ive changed out many of these fans, ford and chevy, and that kit simplifies it to the point that you'll scratch your head and say why would anyone do this any other way. The way it works is the open end wrench goes on the nut, there is a bar that connects to air hammer and wrench, when you pull the trigger it kinda works like an impact wrench, it send a series hard impacts? (cant get the right word for it) intern loosening the nut. Believe me when i say its the way to go. Also not a bad kit to have up on the shelf as ive used it many times now. Good luck! James

EDIT:: that kit is nothing like mine, i'll search and see if I can find the identical one that i have.

http://www.liftmyrod.com/SerpentineFanClutchTools.asp

There it is, same one i have "Pnematic fan clutch kit" It is more then double what i paid for it several years ago though. Basically i bought because im always working on other people's cars. dont think it would be worth it to you

The problem i ran into with the autozone loaners is the nut on the fan clutch is 36mm and the smallest wrench in the kit is 40mm and 48mm. Had to go to napa and the sell a kit that is correct. 36mm and 40mm. What a difference it makes having the right tool.

After seeing those tools at the store and the outrageous prices.....I thought about making my own wrench out of scrap flat steel....and just cutting a 36mm foot....haven't gotten around to it yet.

Aloha, Mark

Back