Waze will be available in 3.0!!!

Mooton

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Ford integrates Waze navigation app in Sync 3

This is amazing news for Apple CarPlay users! I'm curious how it will work with CarPlay, though. It's not a CarPlay app - it's a native Sync 3 app. But can CarPlay be enabled while Waze is available? Or does CarPlay need to be disabled first? Sort of how you can't use Sync 3's Navigation unless CarPlay is disabled.

In any event, tip of the cap to Ford for making this happen.

Has anyone with a pre-released version of 3.0 or a 2018 with 3.0 seen this actually work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford integrates Waze navigation app in Sync 3

This is amazing news for Apple CarPlay users! I'm curious how it will work with CarPlay, though. It's not a CarPlay app - it's a native Sync 3 app. But can CarPlay be enabled while Waze is available? Or does CarPlay need to be disabled first? Sort of how you can't use Sync 3's Navigation unless CarPlay is disabled.

In any event, tip of the cap to Ford for making this happen.

Has anyone with a pre-released version of 3.0 or a 2018 with 3.0 seen this actually work?

Maybe this means they will finally launch the SMARTLINK service they announced at CES last year!

Ford supports it from V2.3 and on. Currently Waze does not have the correct interface SW to make it work. Should be out around March. This I just finished reading on the F150forum.

Ford supports it from V2.3 and on. Currently Waze does not have the correct interface SW to make it work. Should be out around March. This I just finished reading on the F150forum.

I just went through that F150 thread and there were several references to Waze making this available in March (though I couldn't find that mention in Waze's press release). It also sounded like that may sync up with Ford's official release of 3.0 which is, in the words of a Ford person I spoke with yesterday, "a few weeks away if all goes well". And given that 2.3 doesn't add any real functionality over 2.2, I would expect 3.0 to be a requirement.

Maybe I'm reading too much in to it but for all of the pre-2018 sync 3 users that don't currently have a cellular enabled (SMARTLINK) car, I would assume SMARTLINK would be required for the Waze connectivity so it can send and receive the data without the smartphone attached as the presser suggests.

It's running through AppLink, not CarPlay, and it shouldn't require SmartLink because Waze's connectivity would be coming through the phone running it.

It's running through AppLink, not CarPlay, and it shouldn't require SmartLink because Waze's connectivity would be coming through the phone running it.

That's the way I understand it. And AppLink (or at the least, this Waze app) requires a USB connection since it's mirroring the app from the phone and that amount of data cannot be transferred quickly enough over Bluetooth.

Just got my new 2018 XLT, and figuring out what the deal with waze is. Do i need android auto working? Or does it run on its own?

Just got my new 2018 XLT, and figuring out what the deal with waze is. Do i need android auto working? Or does it run on its own?

You have Waze working/on on your phone then plug your phone into your vehicle...Waze will then display on your Sync screen.

You have Waze working/on on your phone then plug your phone into your vehicle...Waze will then display on your Sync screen.
OK, Thanks. There's a nice "hack" using an old android phone with your new one to make Android auto wireless. If it works out, I will post results here.

It should be an app that can run natively on Sync 3, without Android Auto or CarPlay. You may need to go into Apps on the Sync 3 screen and tell it to scan/find apps on your phone.

OK, Thanks. There's a nice "hack" using an old android phone with your new one to make Android auto wireless. If it works out, I will post results here.

Post this hack!! :)

Also for android, you need to have AA setup. I think it is only Apple where waze can run standalone. But I heard its pretty bad. But yeah, post the wireless android hack. Would love to check that out.

Post this hack!! :)

Also for android, you need to have AA setup. I think it is only Apple where waze can run standalone. But I heard its pretty bad. But yeah, post the wireless android hack. Would love to check that out.
[Android 3.0+]Proxy/GateWay for Android Auto

I got it working once, but after a restart I have to completely reset everything. The Dev is still working on it. Would be nice to just jump in your car, and AA just connects.

Your thread was moved here. There are a few more on Waze.

Peter

do not know why the Ford's would be lagging but in a Lincoln, the waze app is better than native on the phone, it has short cuts to report accidents and 'other' items, on touch instead of having to hit two or three on the phone, need to call the hot line that should be listed in the SYNC quick start to get help, if you don't ask, you won't receive.

Back