WeatherTech Side Window Air Deflectors | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WeatherTech Side Window Air Deflectors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I've had the Ford wind deflectors a couple of weeks now. I've had a chance to drive it in wind and rain. I believe it does make for added wind noise, although obviously cannot do back and forth comparisons. As for rain, the small gap in front, above where the driver's side mirror attaches, does not appear to be a problem. There is probably negligible rain introduced from that area when the windows is left open a couple inches. There is intermittent sprinkles of rain entering from the top of the window. Appearance wise, it looks very good. It does not call attention to itself and the glossy dark smoked appearance closely matches the glossy black trim on the doors. So far, I have no adhesion issues. I did make sure to clean the soft window trim it is taped to and the kit includes alcohol wipes for a final cleansing. I always like to take a heat gun to freshly applied mounting tape, especially since it's rather cool lately. Bottom line, the kit is cheap enough and there is no "in-channel" alternative, that I would still recommend it if you want a deflector now.

Ant update on the WeatherTech in channel window deflectors? Anyone have them? Opinions?

I purchased my 2020 Explorer Platinum as soon as orders were being accepted by Ford, and received delivery mid-2019. I've been checking the WeatherTech web site every few weeks since then to ascertain availability of Side Window Air Deflectors for the 2020 Explorer. To date, WeatherTech's web site responds by indicating that the product is not available "yet." Has WeatherTech abandoned this product for the 2020 Explorer? I believe that the Side Window Air Deflectors are actually manufactured in Europe somewhere (so much for WeatherTech's "Made In USA" slogan), but this "not yet" response is now bordering on outright DISHONESTY. Does anyone have some actual and valid knowledge of this product delay? Best regards to everyone, and be well and stay safe. Ima

UPDATE: On October 12, 2020 I finally was able to get a response(s) from WeatherTech Customer Support. According to WeatherTech, they are "working on it" and since the COVID-19 pandemic hit their entire production capability, their timelines have been set back (understandable). Their best estimate is approximately 4 to 5 months (I'm betting around St. Patrick's Day - 2021 - hopefully). I'll keep you posted. Enjoy. Ima

SECOND UPDATE: Today (01/18/2022) I received an email from Weathertech that stated the FRONT Side Window Air Defectors are now In Stock, but the tint is Dark Only. I spoke to the Customer Representative and he told me that the Rear Deflectors should be coming along shortly (?). Inasmuch as it took WT about two years to produce the Front Deflectors, I'm not too sure what "shortly" is going to translate into?? Anyway, I ordered the Front ones and received an Order Confirmation via email. Better Late Than Never, I Suppose!!

^ Well I just put my name/email on their "Notify Me When They Are Available" list.

Looks like AVS/Lund finally came out with a version like those used on the previous generation Explorer. These aren't the "low profile" ones and have a much better fit without leaving the gap near the mirror. The part number from AVS is 94332 - scored a set online for around $60 and will be glad to rip the current version off. Here's a stock picture, but having seen them on another vehicle, the fit is perfect.
AVS 94332 2020 Explorer.jpg

^ Do those fit in the glass grove like the WeatherTech's or do they stick on the outside?

Still nothing available from WeatherTech for in-channel window deflectors ☹️

I didn't like the in-channel version on my Escape. Here's the low-profile outside-mount:

Explorer Vent shade frontc.jpg

This has to be a joke … they made soap holders instead of making the deflectors. 🤦🏻‍♂️

DDE6A5FF-3B72-4FCA-8BBC-09A7EC3A85F6.jpeg

Weathertech has the new generation in channel, but only for the fronts windows. Ive been in contact with them and they are working for approval for the rear windows. Looking to see if i get those or if i get the OEM low profile…

Back