Weight Distribution Hitch?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weight Distribution Hitch??

marc515

Reaction score
City, State
Brick, NJ
We're considering the 2011-X, with the tow package, but are concerned it will be able to tow the camper we are planning to get.

The camper has a GVWR of 3,800Lbs, but not sure it will get to that weight as we plan on traveling with empty water tanks.

I looked in the X manual, and it indicated that trailers ove 3,500Lbs should have a weight distributiion hitch, however, my concern is I read somewhere that unibody vehicles may not be able to transfer the weight properly to the front axle using a WHD.

So, who can I contact to see if I can use a WHD with the X, or if it's really needed. Is there a Ford technical Rep who frequents this site?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

customer service for any of the big hitch manufacturers should be able to give you some information

I don't know about the Ex, but my '01 BMW X5 is rated at 6,000 pounds without a weight distribution hitch. People are usually very surprised to hear it, but the X5 is a superb tow vehicle. One explanation is that the rear overhang is very short and the suspension setup is great for towing. I don't know why, but the package works remarkably well.

That said, I am looking forward to the extra room of my new Ex!

Got the answer from the 2011 Tow Guide.

To tow over 2,000 Lbs, the Explorer Requires optional Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package and weight distributing hitch.

Got the answer from the 2011 Tow Guide.

To tow over 2,000 Lbs, the Explorer Requires optional Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package and weight distributing hitch.
I’m sorry I didn’t see this thread before, but I’m glad you found the answer. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can look into!

Cory

2016 Ford Explorer w/Class III towing package

Hello. I bought a 2016 Explored Limited with the Class III towing package and the 3.6L engine. The towing guide states that to tow over 2000lbs it needs an weight-distributing hitch. Has anyone tried to tow without the equalizer hitch? How did it work out?

Hello. I bought a 2016 Explored Limited with the Class III towing package and the 3.6L engine. The towing guide states that to tow over 2000lbs it needs an weight-distributing hitch. Has anyone tried to tow without the equalizer hitch? How did it work out?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this one and I'm sure you will get a few replies. Also, I believe that unless you have an Ecoboost engine you have the 3.5L.
Since the towing guide advises using a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) I'm guessing if you had an accident or mechanical issue when towing over 2000 lbs without one that you could be in trouble either legally and/or also from a warranty standpoint.

Peter

I tow a Passport 195RB. It's about 3700 lbs. I have a Husky Centerline TS load leveling hitch.
All is well. I have run up and down the mountains of the East with ease.
When you look at load leveling hitches make sure they include sway control. Most do but it makes them a little noisy. If you see an easy to hitch and quiet LLH, look a little deeper.
I get around 11 MPG on premium when towing.
That being said, I was at a Chevy dealer today testing a Silverado 1500. I love my Sport but the 18.5 gal tank just sucks.

The latest question was. "Has anyone tried to tow without the equalizer hitch? How did it work out?"

The latest question was. "Has anyone tried to tow without the equalizer hitch? How did it work out?"
The question was can I use a WDH and do I need it.
The 'Do I need it was answered'.
I answered 'Can I use it'.

I thought a little real world experience would be helpful.

We are talking about the question in post #6. Not the original one from 5+ years ago.

Eeek. Didn't notice the date. Sorry

2016 Ford Explorer w/Class III towing package

It depends on how much tongue weight the trailer has, the heavier the tongue to more sag and bouncing you're going to get. Most of the time it will "work out" but the further you get out of spec the higher the probability of it not working out. That shouldn't be a chance you take with your family and others on the road. Also, anything over 2000lbs should have brakes as well.

I use a Fastway E2 square bar 6000lbs hitch with our 3500lbs popup and it works pretty well. Without the bars hooked up I get 1-1/4" drop at the rear and 3/4" rise at the front. It's a pretty noticeable squat. Hooking up the bars I end up with no rise on the front and only a 1/2" drop at the rear from unhitched, which I feel is reasonable. The sway control works fine but is really noisy in turns (grooooaaaaaannnnnn).

The biggest problem is that my trailer has a pretty low frame so with the added height of the hitch head I'm running something like a 14" drop bar and the trailer is still not quite level.

Back