Weird Ignition Issue 5.0l v8

JTX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I swapped a 98 5.0l into a 97 2wd 5.0l, I've almost got everything back together but I am having a weird ignition issue that I can't seem to trouble shoot. When I turn the key to "run" the starter turns, it will continue to turn until I turn the ignition to off.

I've checked the S cable and it is hot all the time. That tells me the solenoid and starter are fine.

My problem is I don't know where to start, is it the TRS, PCM, or Ignition switch. The switch was fine pre swap. Is the TRS the same on the 2wd transmission and 4wd transmission? Same for the PCM. I did not switch the PCM or the harness when I put the new motor/trans in.

Thanks in advance.

What wiring harnesses did you use? the 97 or the 98?

I used the 97 since the 98 was all hacked up from the junkyard. I am going to start with the TRS and see what happens. In the TRS there is a circuit that is Hot in "run". It may be bad and completing the wrong circuit. We will see.

Found my issue, the newer Transmission harness isn't even close to the 97 engine harness. I am going to check the U Pull it today and see if I can find a 97 AWD harness.

X_PoUJkomUdxvOLTCOlj0VkFPsAWeEjg-6PsJBsabLQAQr4A89DsTUPwLwM2cchLWjsN4LYl8tCUo3M=w1576-h671-rw

YFImzvIVElR7b-bAgqY5cLz2G5vzOv4eE7wS186exyux9y2zzrJBkQRCGf5u4-Bq9XrPcV96Je_lQVc=w1576-h671-rw

Back