• Register Today It's free!

Weird noises starting?

aqhbarrelracer

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I just purchased a 94 Explorer and drove it home fine. The second time I took it out I had to engage the 4x4, turn it off, different sounds started. When driving there was a sound as if something was dragging on the ground but nothing was. It was a steady sound, maybe metal to metal rubbing? Then it stopped after driving/reversing a few times at long distances. Then after a few miles a thumping sound started, then sounded as if something dropped, then the steady grinding started again. There is still a slight thumping sound occuring. Also, my brake light just turned on and I have to floor the brakes.
Now before I bought this the owner said the following needed to be replaced: sway bar bushings, rear leaf spring bracket, and rear brake shoes/pads.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

...Can Chaser's are Welcome here...:D

...First, it sounds like you lost your brakes from your description...I would get that fixed a.s.a.p. ...

...I don't like the sounds you are describing but, it sounds like you were not disengaged from 4wd...Some times you will have to back up for about 20' for this to happen...

Tomorrow we are going to check the brakes and all that to see if that's the issue, hoping it is a easy fix!

After I reversed for a long distance the 4wheel drive situation got fixed, thankfully.

And thanks, nice to see someone understands my name ;)

Welcome to the site!

Wow...

You most likely have a brake fluid leak. Check/fill the reservoir. Have a helper press the brake pedal (engine off is OK) while you look around under the truck to see where the fluid is coming from. It may be a brake fluid line, a caliper or a wheel cylinder. If you're lucky, this will be easy to find.

Depending on your comfort level, you may want to bring this to a shop to diagnose. You can get an estimate and decide from there if you want to do the job yourself.

Based on the history you've described, I'd expect to replace the rear brakes, shoes and wheel cylinders at a minimum. Check the drums and hardware while you're in there.

I would also not ignore the other issues you've mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back