weird pre shift transmission noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

weird pre shift transmission noise

windsorfan94

Reaction score
City, State
tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer xlt
hello all! i have a 01 xlt 5.0 its got 230k on it and is mostly stock . The problem im having is a weird noise coming from what i think is the transmission. This noise occurs just before the transmission changes gears and it happens in any gear. The noise sounds like i whine of some sorts and will last for 2-3 seconds and as soon as the trans shifts no more noise . the trans does seem to be taking a bit longer than normal to shift cause the rpms seem to be getting a little higher than normal before shifting but its only a small difference , im just curious as to what is causing the pre shift noise and what i can do to fix it . when i first noticed the noise i pulled into autozone and checked the trans fluid and it was low so i added some but there is no leaks and the level has remained steady for a few months now im wondering if a filter and fluid change could fix this noise im getting or if its something worse any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

When was the last time you did a filter/fluid change? A clogged filer can cause all sorts of problems.

ive had the car for around year and a half now and have went from 194k to 225k mile and i havent done one would u think its overdue for a fluid and filter change

Back