welding ?s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

welding ?s

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
so i finally got my welder working(its 220v, 100amp, stick welder) and im having some problems. when welding with 1/16" electrodes, i cannot strike an arc, no matter how much or how little current i give it, it will just stick to the metal. when using 3/32" electrodes, i can strike an arc pretty easily, but i dont want a tip that big. shouldnt it be easier to strike an arc with a smaller stick? when using 3/32" electrodes, my welds look like crud. like there are puddles some places, no metal in others. when you have an arc, is there a special way to make the weld? like should i be going fast, slow or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been FOREVER since I have stick welded. Ummmmmmm 1989 maybe.
All I can recall is I usually prefered a hotter weld. Keeping a tighter arc.
Strike it and let it blow and close it up.
Try a bit more heat.

That being said MIG welders are far, far more versitile than any stick welder.
If you can't learn how to MIG weld in less than thirty mineuts, you can't learn how to MIG weld.

jgilbs said:
so i finally got my welder working(its 220v, 100amp, stick welder) and im having some problems. when welding with 1/16" electrodes, i cannot strike an arc, no matter how much or how little current i give it, it will just stick to the metal. when using 3/32" electrodes, i can strike an arc pretty easily, but i dont want a tip that big. shouldnt it be easier to strike an arc with a smaller stick? when using 3/32" electrodes, my welds look like crud. like there are puddles some places, no metal in others. when you have an arc, is there a special way to make the weld? like should i be going fast, slow or what?

Yes it should be easier for the machine to make the arc, but it's up to the operator to keep the distance from the metal to obtain the arc once started, also make sure your using fresh/correct (flux core) electrodes.

As for making the weld, let the metal "flow" and make little circles, kinda like dragging the flow.

It takes practice and it's all in the wrist!

:rolleyes: Ok you tools get back on the curb, jeeeeesee !

MONMIX said:
It has been FOREVER since I have stick welded. Ummmmmmm 1989 maybe.
All I can recall is I usually prefered a hotter weld. Keeping a tighter arc.
Strike it and let it blow and close it up.
Try a bit more heat.

That being said MIG welders are far, far more versitile than any stick welder.
If you can't learn how to MIG weld in less than thirty mineuts, you can't learn how to MIG weld.

I think everyone should start out on stick, cause once they have mastered that you can pretty much weld period, other than TIG.

But none the less it's great practice and a challenge that I think all should go through.

IMO

SVO said:
I think everyone should start out on stick, cause once they have mastered that you can pretty much weld period, other than TIG.

But none the less it's great practice and a challenge that I think all should go through.

IMO

TIG, not an easy method, but when it looks good it looks GREAT !!!!!!!

MONMIX said:

Yeah I full-heartedly agree, I have some hand built aluminum bicycle frames that look just AWSOME!

Rows of dimes, if you will! ;)

SVO said:

IMO

exactly what i think - start on the basics and work my way up. im gonna get a 220v once i master stick welding

Take some scrap steel and practice making tiny circles or S's with the stick as you pull it back towards you in a straight line. Much easier to get a "Pretty" weld 'pulling' it rather than trying to 'push' it away from you. I like to rest the heal of my hand on the material and adjust my grip on the rod to get a smooth arc. Try to get the stick as close to the metal as you can without touching it. As you get it right, it will arc. This is the position you want. Where it just starts to arc for you, Then, keep it moving, in the circle or 'S' pattern. You will quickly develop the "feel". Not an expert, but I've done quite a bit over the years. Have fun!

so im welding some 18 gauge steel, and when im done, the oppisite side is all discolored. is this normal? or am i using too much current?

discoloration is normal and actually good.
It shows good pennatration which is a crutial factor

what about heat distortion? i welded some angle iron to a piece of sheet metal, and the sheet metal is supposed to be straight, so that it makes a 90 degree angle with the angle iron, but after i welded the entire length of the angle iron, i could hear like cracking, and the metal distorted so its no longer square. is there a solution to this? i used very little current because i didnt want it to burn though, but it still happened.

That just takes practice, and which is why I skipped the stick and went for mig, I learned in honestly about 20 minutes. From eveything I've heard, it's almost a waste of time to try and stick body metal.

jgilbs said:
what about heat distortion? i welded some angle iron to a piece of sheet metal, and the sheet metal is supposed to be straight, so that it makes a 90 degree angle with the angle iron, but after i welded the entire length of the angle iron, i could hear like cracking, and the metal distorted so its no longer square. is there a solution to this? i used very little current because i didnt want it to burn though, but it still happened.

If your MIG welding sheet metal try using some copper strips (avail. at your local welding supply) held on with welding magnets on the backside of the sheet metal, they will act as a heat sink to prevent warpage. Also a damp rag preferrably terry cloth works good if you throw it over what you've just welded. You're gonna want to use tack welds about an inch or so apart and then go back and connect the dots. It's time consuming but necessary to make it look good and prevent warpage. Heck, when I bobbed the bed on my ranger I thought hey no problem I'll just zap it back together...man was i in for a suprise. The job I did on it is by no means body shop quality but it seems to be holding together.

Also, might wanna check this thread I started on a welding forum I found:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124038

got a new electrode holder, and that seems to be helping a lot(old one was in real bad shape, couldnt even close enough to hold the electrode in), im gonna try to redo the sides and see if i can do them without any warping

MONMIX said:

I learned how to MIG/TIG (I'm only 20) at work welding up parts for Honda, Ford, Yamaha, ect... I took a couple of hours to learn, but you ONLY get good get over time. TIG was hard I'll admit, but you don't have to be rushed and move fast like you do with MIG. Plus it looks better and is lighter. There one guy there whos been MIG welding for 35 years and he is the ****. I mean badass. He hates to TIG. I just learned it because it was something to do and I figured I could use it in the future.

You have to go extremely slow to keep the heat distortion under control, as DB said ,and weld on opposite ends each time. Slow means weld 1 inch on one end-STOP-let it cool, Weld 1 inch on other end-STOP,weld in middle etc etc. The stick welder isn't the idea tool for this application but it's what ya got so just take it slow. I've bent plenty of projects welding too long a piece. :D

I have a suspicion there is more money and more security in mastering TIG as opposed to MIG.
I reserve the right to be wrong :)

I've never stick welded... Only MIG, and it's really easy. Takes some time to set the machine up for the metal you're using, but I've done alot of great projects with my Hobart Handler 175. TIG is alot more difficult.

RFR2212 said:
Hobart Handler 175.

That's the shizzzzzzzzzznit machine there :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They say do it right the first time. Could possibly be the best Christmas present I've ever received! :D

Back