Went in for alignment... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Went in for alignment...

Bug120

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
And the guy told me it'd be a waste of my money because I need so much work done. He made a list. Sigh. Anyone know how much this could run? This is on a 2003 Explorer. My husband is going to be thrilled.

Passenger rear tie rod end has play
Driver side rear wheel bearing worn
Rear coil springs broken
Front lower ball joints worn with play
Upper control arms have play
Driver front wheel needs replaced from alignment pull

Rear brakes also need to be done soon but we knew that.

I feel like we're CONSTANTLY putting money into this thing. For gods sake my husband drives a 1998 car that has far less issue, knock on wood. Btw this guy does none of the above repairs so he has no reason to exaggerate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My magical computer at work says 1675 and that's at a 95 dollar an hour flat rate shop. . All are very common problems and if not addressed can lead to other failures of parts.

My magical computer at work says 1675 and that's at a 95 dollar an hour flat rate shop. . All are very common problems and if not addressed can lead to other failures of parts.

Thank you. Besides the brakes we were totally unaware of all the issues going on. I thought I had a simple alignment problem. Not a fun surprise.

That list isn't anything to be scared of. If you're mechanically inclined I would rate it between beginner-and-intermediate.

I just did the rear struts, front tie rods, rotors, pads, upper control arms, and front wheel bearings all in a single day (a long day, mind you) on my buddy's 02 explorer.

Those are the components that are good for anyone to get some practice doing. I would encourage you to do some homework, buy the parts online, and tackle the job yourself.

-Dubya

These aren't really "issues." These are general maintenance items, especially if they haven't been addressed in it's twelve year existence. How many miles? Everything on that list except the coil springs are pretty much 100k mile parts, regardless of the type or make of the vehicle. I'd be surprised if your shocks are still good if you haven't already replaced them.

As mentioned, you can save a good bit of cash by DIY.

That list isn't anything to be scared of. If you're mechanically inclined I would rate it between beginner-and-intermediate.

I just did the rear struts, front tie rods, rotors, pads, upper control arms, and front wheel bearings all in a single day (a long day, mind you) on my buddy's 02 explorer.

Those are the components that are good for anyone to get some practice doing. I would encourage you to do some homework, buy the parts online, and tackle the job yourself.

-Dubya

Thanks! Well I have no mechanical experience and am 8 months pregnant lol but I think my husband is pretty good but underestimates himself! He can do brakes and oil changes and stuff. I feel like some of the stuff he could figure out!

These aren't really "issues." These are general maintenance items, especially if they haven't been addressed in it's twelve year existence. How many miles? Everything on that list except the coil springs are pretty much 100k mile parts, regardless of the type or make of the vehicle. I'd be surprised if your shocks are still good if you haven't already replaced them.

As mentioned, you can save a good bit of cash by DIY.

Miles are about 130000. That's good to know its more general maintenance then issues. Because I was kind of concerned why everything was falling apart at once haha. The guy did say the coil springs look like they've been broken awhile, we just didn't know.

Thanks! Well I have no mechanical experience and am 8 months pregnant lol but I think my husband is pretty good but underestimates himself! He can do brakes and oil changes and stuff. I feel like some of the stuff he could figure out!

Almost anyone who can do their own brakes and oil changes has the capability to do these maintenance items. Encourage him to join the forums and take a look at some of the How-To threads. There are definitely two stuck to the top of the page that deal directly with Upper Control Arm and Wheel Bearing replacements.

-Dubya

There's some pretty detailed How To threads on this forum for each of the items listed if he's comfortable trying. These are suspension parts though and you need that baby to be safe and you'll need piece of mind. You'll still need an alignment so a visit to a shop is still necessary either way.

If your husband doesn't feel confident enough to do these items take it someplace and have a pro take care of them. With a little one on the way you don't want to have to worry about whether or not the suspension is going to give way on the way home from the hospital. Just my .02.

Congrats by the way. Hope it all goes well.

These are all fairly easy items to replace, have your husband get him and haynes or chilton manual for the vehicle if will guide him through the process. They can be done with basic hand tools. I have done all the same replacements on my wifes 98 explorer. They are easy repairs and i underestimate my work all the time you will save close to a grand with him doing the repairs himself. Explorers are easy to maintain and work on believe it or not. I would let a professional do the springs though because you need spring compressors to get them off the struts if they run through them, ball joints a press can be rented from a local auto parts store with deposit returned upon return of the tool or bought at harbor freight for about 70 plus tax.

That sounds like about everything that wears out on an explorer. Change that stuff out and you should be ready for another 130,000 miles.

I agree, if your husband can do brakes, he can do this work. Not feeling confident is normal when tackling something new. I always have my moments of doubt, walk away, take a break, come back and get it done. If someone else can do it, so can "you."
Just follow the steps and always torque stuff down to specs, no guessing. Some of this stuff sticks together pretty good after so many miles. So he may need to pound a little bit with a 5 lbs mallet at times. Just disconnect the negative battery cable, don't need airbags deploying. You can rent 250lbs torque wrench and hub/pully puller at most parts stores. Just make sure you have the tools you need. I always use blue lock tite on all my fasteners. Makes me feel better.

Now, search out this guys posts: Makuloco2000
And don't feel bad if he makes it look easy. He has some awesome videos.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8581122

And he doesn't have to do everything at one time.

Buy some of the parts and spread it out over a couple of weekends. That way it isn't so overwhelming.

And maybe there is someone who lives close by who can help.

MT

As to the broken coil springs. Just get the Quickstruts from Rock Auto or ones from Prime Choice. Don't bother just replacing the coils, do the complete assembly. Its faster and less work.

Back