Wet/musty vent air

ErockSteady

Reaction score
City, State
NW Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I just bought a 1996 XLT (97,000 miles for $3,400, I think I got a great deal), so I'm sure I'll be posting and asking questions here often!

When I put the vent air on, the smell coming out into the cabin is pretty nasty. It's a wet/musty/moldy smell. As far as I know, there's no cabin air filter. So any ideas where this smell would be originating?

Thanks!

p.s. I love my new Explorer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

vent cavity has gotten leaves and stuff in it.... I think there are also drain holes to allow water out which might be plug. In addition, the air conditioning condensation "plate" is around there also... it too has drain holes to allow for water to leave the area.

Thanks budwich. Could you point me in the general direction of where the vent cavity is?

Thanks...

Tsb

I don't remember the specifics but FORD issued a Tech Service Bulletin on that problem. From what I remember water is collecting somewhere inside the system and eventually produces that smell. There is a product they were using to treat it. ***Also in the owners manual it instructs the owner to leave the climate control in the vent position(not max ac or off) when the vehicle is off so the vehicle can "breathe"

my quick fix (temporary) is to turn my ex on and blast max ac while spraying lysol/clorox airspray into the return ducts in the passenger footwell.

the exterior of the vent system starts up near the front window grill area (intake). The rest is position in the firewall thereafter. Not really accessible. In general, try a "test" by dump some water in the front grill area (passenger side)... it should "disappear" and come out somewhere under the vehicle near the back wheel well area. I haven't look. As mentioned, AC systems are great for "junk growing" from the condensation. Not much help but maybe the other post will help some.

if your drain is plugged, you can get some real ugly, smelly, critters and such growing in your evap case. BG products makes a product called Frigi-Fresh that really works well. You just need to get it to the evaporator core and case. That can be done by drilling a 1" hole in the case in the engine compartment. Seal the hole back up with duct tape, or similar. You will have an access now for repeat treatments if necessary. But sometimes, things are so bad in there you have to pull the case and evaporator to clean or replace. Acura has a horrible issue with this.

What you need to do is ensure your drain is open. It is located at the bottom of the air plenum assembly inside the car. However, it drains to the outside below the bottom of the evap case. You will see it if you crawl under there. Getting to it can be difficult. Good luck. Odors can be a real pain to cure and many times call for a complete dissassembly and cleaning or replacement.

Back