• Register Today It's free!

Wet Cabin Filter After Car Wash

Alex Wiesemann

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabethtown, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited 4x4
I have a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4. The cabin filter gets wet when I get a car wash where hardly any air will pas through it. I have to turn the air on full blast and give it about 10 minutes before my air will blow through the front vents again. I have read online about different a/c issues and stuff but I am not sure where to go with this. I cannot find any other person with a Ford Explorer who has had this issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to remove the cowl and have a look to see if any drains are blocked or if there is a diverter/weatherstrip that may have come loose and is allowing water to enter the fresh air intake.

Welcome to the Forum Alex.:wave:
You're right in that this issue hasn't been posted about before. Definitely not normal.

Peter

I went to another car wash (car wash B) down the road and noticed that the cabin filter was not wet after B and the air worked fine. The issue may be water being poured into the cabin filter directly from the wash but I am not sure. I will stop going to car wash A :)

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4. The cabin filter gets wet when I get a car wash where hardly any air will pas through it. I have to turn the air on full blast and give it about 10 minutes before my air will blow through the front vents again. I have read online about different a/c issues and stuff but I am not sure where to go with this. I cannot find any other person with a Ford Explorer who has had this issue.
I have A 2017 Ford Explorer platinum. I discovered when the air was not flowing out the vents in the vehicle I went to the cabin air filter removed it and it was sopping wet. I replaced the filter and the air was flowing freely out the vents with the air conditioning on. This has happened to me twice and the second time I realized it was right after a car wash. What I plan on doing is replacing the filter and whenever I have a car wash done again I’m gonna make sure I turn off the air conditioning or heat and see if the problem goes away because it could be sucking water into the cabin filter during the car wash.

Welcome to the Forum George. :wave:
Yes, please do report back after the next wash to see if turning the HVAC system OFF helped. Thanks.

Peter

Back