What can I tow?

GunnFixr

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hillsdale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport, XLS
I just got my first Explorer. It is a manual tranny, 4x2 XLS Sport.

I'm moving back to Michigan in a couple months, and the USMC will be moving most of my stuff, but they won't move my guns w/o insurance. I'd rather move them myself since I trust no one.

I have a pretty considerable collection, and they won't all fit in the back, so I'll need to tow a trailer.

My new Explorer doesn't have the tow package (Reese Hitch). I did buy a ball for the bumper. The bumper says 350lb tongue limit 3500 lb trailer. What the hell does that mean? What is my truck capable of towing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a trailer that is lighter than 3500 pounds, with a tongue wieght of less than 350 pounds!

I was responding as you deleted the original thread....Moderators can fix spelling error titles if you want....:D

Anyways...

The true weight it can pull either be on the drivers door sticker, or in the owners manual. The weights listed on the bumper are the max load weights for the bumper hitch itself. The toungue load is the weight that is placed on the bumper itself. The other wieght is the max the X can pull, loaded up.

if the bumper on the newer ones is anything like that of the 1st gens, then the bumper itself it basically a class II hitch. you could tow a small-med utility trailer with about 2000 lbs of whatever with out worrying...as long as it doesnt exceed that tounge weight (if so, then you risk bending the bumper). i personally would just have a class III put on that way, no worries. and trust me, you will use it eventually. where at in michigan you moving to?

Thanks guys, I was worried that I would have to put on a Reese to tow anything more than 350.

Originally posted by udmsvt
where at in michigan you moving to?
Where ever I can find gainful employment. I have family in the central and south east parts of the state, my son and ex live in the northern lower, and I have good friends in the western lower. So wher ever I land, I'll be close to kith and kin.

Most likely, either Indian River, Holland/Grand Rapids, Jackson, or Adrian.

thats cool. i am right by metro airport (se mich). drop me a line some day. like i said though, i would still recommend having a regular hitch installed.

...like i said though, i would still recommend having a regular hitch installed.
I probably will, but I won't have time to do it until I get back to Michigan.

well, then at least spend the 35 bucks for the interchangable ball and another 15 for a wiring harness (if you dont already have a plug). i would also recommend a heavy duty blinker (about 8 bucks).

Originally posted by jimabena74
a trailer that is lighter than 3500 pounds, with a tongue wieght of less than 350 pounds!
Okay, so help me out here. I'm a gun person, not a car/truck person, what is tongue weight, and how does one determine it?

well, then at least spend the 35 bucks for the interchangable ball and another 15 for a wiring harness (if you dont already have a plug). i would also recommend a heavy duty blinker (about 8 bucks).
Got the balls this afternoon, X was equiped with the plug.

when you set the tounge of the trailer down onto the ball, that is the tounge weight. the trailers wheels carry most of the weight of the load but there will be some wight on that tounge being placed directly on your hitch...in this case, your bumper. you dont want it to be too muck because it would be like putting a weight set on your bumper...too much and it will bend.

Originally posted by GunnFixr
Okay, so help me out here. I'm a gun person, not a car/truck person, what is tongue weight, and how does one determine it?

Tongue weight is always 10% of your tow rating. Since your truck is a manual it is rated to tow 3000 lbs. which means your maximum tongue weight is 300 lbs.

Back