What can my SOHC tow?

Silverblade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SOHC
Im not good with weight of measurements so Ill just ask.
Can my SOHC tow a car on a car trailer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on the car, but regardless that's pushing the limits of the X. I'd say if you have a good hitch and aren't going too far that it's ok. Even if everything goes ok though (and it will, besides added stress on the tranny), your rear springs aren't gonna like it.

I was wondering myself if the OHV could tow a mazda protege. After some thinking though I decided to be cautious and not do it....still be interested if I could though.

Thanx Alec, the car is a drag car so it is lightweight, but it is an hour drive. I dont think I will.

For an hour if it's under 4500# you will be ok (but your springs may not be).

what I did

I towed a pontiac sunbird from Ks to AZ with my SOHC. I had the front end up on a tow dolly... I had no problems with it. Except the obvious slowing down going up hills...

I pulled my B2 on a 16' double axle trailer all last year and had no problems other than long hills. Only mods I did were a set of "Helwig Helpers". Mind you I also had 33" tires and only 3.73 gearing going against me too. I don't have as hard a time on hills now that I run 32" tires.

with my OHV and 5-speed and 3.27 gears, i towed our 4-door ex on a car hauler 50 miles (about an hour drive since part of it was non-hywy). it was slow to start but i didnt have any real real problems...the back end didnt even sag. you would have no problems towing a protege ot light car.

Back