What controls the delay option in wipers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What controls the delay option in wipers?

dmaster79

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer XLS 4x4
Okay I know all about the multifunction switch about how the switch operates for the most part, but what actually makes the delay...well delay on the front wipers. I've heard some people speak of a wiper module of some sort that controls the delay. Does this exist, and where is it? My low and high speeds work fine, but I have to basially manually shut the wipers to the off position at the bottom point cause they stop right were I turn them off at. This also leads to the delay problem, they wipe half way across then stop completely, its really annoying. When on just low or high they are fine...wipe and wipe, until its time to shut them off of course....please help, thanks guys!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a Chrysler that did that once, and it turned out to be the park gear in the wiper motor. It was not the delay module. Don't know if it is the same in Fords.

Another weird thing I can add is it doesn't start acting up like this till about 5min of use. If I just turn it on for say a minute or 2 it seems to function fine.....talk about weird..

I have the same problem, but mine only run on high, and wherever they get turned off at, they stick, but my X has many electrical problems.

I've figured out that there is a module under the dash that is for the wiper delay. It actually makes a loud clicking noise when they don't work right, every time they move a bit actually. I'm thinking they have some sort of relay in these boxes that go bad, I guess I"m gonna see if I can get one of these somewhere tomorrow.

Let us know

Let us know what works.
I was getting my car inspected the other day and there was a mechanic that had the whole Dash of a '93 Ranger all apart. The Ranger had the same issues. He was still scratching his head when I left.

It's starting to sound like this is going to be a trouble spot for these vehicles. It would be nice to know the fix.

Well I have an interesting end to a problem. You won't believe this but I was changing the oil today and for some reason glanced over at this wire that was kinda snapped into a plug but not all the way, for some reason I clipped it together out of instinct. Turns out this went to the washer motor and well tried my delay and works perfect. Who knows how it got unplugged or why, but for those of you having problems, check not only this plug, but the connection, apparently it can do funny things.

Gotta love that!!!

The list is endless on how many times I found something that was going bad but not there yet just because I was under the hood doing something else. Not only can Do It Yourselfers fix problems BUT it's a way of finding and fixing potential problems.

Good Deal

Back