what do I have for a Tranny (96 5.0 AWD) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what do I have for a Tranny (96 5.0 AWD)

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Hey guys... what do I have for a tranny.. i have a 96 AWD 5.0.

is it a AODE or AOD-E.......

I am looking to get a lentech valve body for it.... just checking what i have.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a 4R70W.

You have both! ;)
No clue...just wanted to add some humor to the post
:)
Pete

The AODE has not been available in North America since 1995 when it was used in the mustang. In 1996 the 5.0l explorer got the 4R70W. The 4.0l got the 4R55E.

An AOD-E and a 4R70W are the same mechanically. The only difference is that the 4R70W has a little lower 1st and 2nd gear. (W stands for wide ratio). I think Ford just started calling it 4R70W when they changed to the OBD-II computer system. Other than that they are the same case and components (except 1st and 2nd gear). The 4R55E(4-speed auto), 5R55E(5-speed Auto), and 4R44E(4-speed light duty/ 3.0L) are all the same basic tranny and are all pretty much just electronically controlled A4LDs. New Explorers use the 5R55E for V6s and the AOD-E/4R70W for the V8s.

so will a new Heavy duty valve body designed for the AOD-E fit in whatever I have???? lol

CougarX is correct that the AODE and 4R70W were very close in 96. I am checking with an engineer at the Livonia plant (that is where they make them) to see if the valve bodies are interchangeable. I'm not sure if the valve body was upgraded for 96. I will post it when I find out.

gearhead-

thank you very much- that would be a great help!!!!! :)

I spoke with the trans engineer. He said that he would NOT recommend bringing an older valve body into a newer trans. There were a lot of changes made to the valve bodies around that time. This is probably not the answer that you wanted, but you could always try it and expand our collective knowledge.

Hope that helped.

Hey, that would be great if someone knew. Now that I have a V8 AWD (going on 24 hours now...) I'd be interested in this too. I like a firmer shifts and my 98 seems like it shifts very soft, even compared to my tranny problemed 92.

Make sure to let us know what you find out.

Good Luck.

Back