What do you guys recommend? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you guys recommend?

A few months ago someone ran into my rear bumper, while i was not around! No clue as to who did it? The bumper creeks and makes slight noises while going over bumps, wholes, ect...

The bumper is caved in about 1/2 inch on the right side and slightly hangs down. It's not very noticable, but i would like to fix it my self or have a body shop fix it. The bumper does not look like it is bent or damaged, looks more like the brackets are bent? The chrome piece between the rear wheel and the rear bumper is slightly bent, from the caved in bumper!

So what do you guys think? Should i leave it be? Replace it myself, or have a body shop replace it? I hope this is somthing I can do myself? And dont want to have to have a Shop charge me $500 for a new bumper!

Thanks

DonM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So replacing the brackets or maybe loosening them up and then retighten them down may work.

Do you know where I can find the brackets other then a Ford dealer? I dont want to pay out the ass.

Thanks for the quick reply

You'll probably have to replace them, unless you know how to straighten metal... Other than ford your best bet is to hit the boneyards...

You can usually beat those brackets back into place. However it makes it much easier for them to bend the next time its hit.

I did that a few years ago on a "beat" bumper I got from Matt. :) Once I "fixed" it he couldn't tell it was the same one. :)

The bumper bracket from Ford will not cost too much.
beating them back into palce is really more trouble than it is worth.
All in all it will be an easy job. You'll want a buddy there to hold the bumper in place and to hepl you realign it. But a can of P.B. Blaster or WD-40 and an 18 mm wrench or socket will get ya through. If you can get your hands on a 3/8 air ratchet you'll be WAY ahead of the game.

Yeah, im just gonna pick up some new brackets. It would be much easyer that way. Plus it's to cold to be spending any long amounts of time outside!

3/8 air ratchet shouldnt be a problem?

Thanks for the advice.

Back