What do you guys think... First gen sleeper. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you guys think... First gen sleeper.

While I agree with the above, that fast is a relative term in an explorer, this sounds like its gonna be an awesome build, and a fun one to watch.

1) Cam- I really don't know much about cams either, but neither do a lot of people. Cams are a very complicated thing- duration, lift, profiles, and how it all plays out in the performance of the engine. I think you'd be best off calling up a cam manufacturer (comp cams for example) and talking with one of their support guys to see what's best for your application.

2) if your talking about a first gen, I am not familiar enough with the driveline to know how to properly remove the 4 wheel drive system.

3) To lower a second gen, do a reverse TT In the front and put 2" blocks in the rear. Top it all off with edelbrock IAS lowering shocks.

Here's installing the blocks:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97403

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I agree with the above, that fast is a relative term in an explorer, this sounds like its gonna be an awesome build, and a fun one to watch.

1) Cam- I really don't know much about cams either, but neither do a lot of people. Cams are a very complicated thing- duration, lift, profiles, and how it all plays out in the performance of the engine. I think you'd be best off calling up a cam manufacturer (comp cams for example) and talking with one of their support guys to see what's best for your application.

2) if your talking about a first gen, I am not familiar enough with the driveline to know how to properly remove the 4 wheel drive system.

3) To lower a second gen, do a reverse TT In the front and put 2" blocks in the rear. Top it all off with edelbrock IAS lowering shocks.

Here's installing the blocks:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97403

I contacted Comp Cams, and I am waiting on a reply, so we will see what they say Bout it. As far as the 4x4 to 2wd conversion I would need the spindles and such, found that out my self. I also typed wrong I meant to ask lowering a first gen explorer, the rear is pretty easy, but the front I am worried a out the alignment with drop springs. So I still have most of the question. But thanks for your input. I am still kicking around the idea of lowering my second gen, lol.

For what it's worth, the truck that was tearing up the slalom course at the Goodguys show in Des Moines last month was a DRASTICALLY lowered - get this - '72 International Scout. When I saw it, he was about 20 seconds faster than any other truck. It sat just a few inches off the ground, handled like it was on rails, and the guy could flat out drive, too. Probably had a full custom built frame, but it shows what can be done. I mean, who ever saw a fast Scout?

For what it's worth, the truck that was tearing up the slalom course at the Goodguys show in Des Moines last month was a DRASTICALLY lowered - get this - '72 International Scout. When I saw it, he was about 20 seconds faster than any other truck. It sat just a few inches off the ground, handled like it was on rails, and the guy could flat out drive, too. Probably had a full custom built frame, but it shows what can be done. I mean, who ever saw a fast Scout?

I don't think I need to go that crazy, just low enough to make it not tippy, and, possibly help a little with lifting up, by air getting under it. IDK, I think it would also look a little bit better too.

To lower a 1st gen 4x4 Explorer ---- skip the hassle and find a 2wd, travel out of state if you have to find a cleaner body.

But if you really want to know how to convert it... You will need all 2wd components springs twin I beams (for in place of TTB) steering linkages, spindles, bearings, brakes, everything from a 2wd.

To lower: I believe there are lowering springs (coils), I have seen lowering beams (may have to look up ford ranger).

To put is simply don't buy a 4x4 if you're looking at lowering it because you would waste 2x as much money to get it where you want. Also, I am not aware of any lowering kits for a TTB 4wd.

Yep, the 4wd to 2wd swap is pretty straight forward, I've converted a 2wd to 4wd before. You just have to have all the parts.

I contacted Comp Cams, and I am waiting on a reply, so we will see what they say Bout it. As far as the 4x4 to 2wd conversion I would need the spindles and such, found that out my self. I also typed wrong I meant to ask lowering a first gen explorer, the rear is pretty easy, but the front I am worried a out the alignment with drop springs. So I still have most of the question. But thanks for your input. I am still kicking around the idea of lowering my second gen, lol.

You need more than spindles.your need everything from a 2wd.radius arms forward and new driveshaft.2nd gen would be a better starting point.

I would not use blocks even if you stuff power into a rear end with blocks that is going to have some axle wrap like a **** explorers already seem to have that problem so I would look into a more sufficient way maybe a 4 bar bit more expensive but you want a suspension capable of handling how much power you wan just my 2 cents

You need more than spindles.your need everything from a 2wd.radius arms forward and new driveshaft.2nd gen would be a better starting point.

I would still prefer a First Gen, I feel that it would more of a sleeper, I don't need to buy the first truck I see either, so I am being patient, Plus if I go into a second Gen, then I have to meet emissions, which I don't want to do, I mean unless I find a 2wd Sport from '95...

I would not use blocks even if you stuff power into a rear end with blocks that is going to have some axle wrap like a **** explorers already seem to have that problem so I would look into a more sufficient way maybe a 4 bar bit more expensive but you want a suspension capable of handling how much power you wan just my 2 cents

Thanks for the input, despite your input, which I appreciate, I will still most likely run some lowering blocks, and then further down the road, probably with the upgrade of a 302 Stroker, then I will deal with upgrading the suspension further, I was already thinking about traction bars though, if at all possible. Plus I don't think it will really have that much power to make it go real crazy.

Honestly this is the best piece of advice in this whole thread. I would put money into this setup before doing anything motorwise - you will get nice crisp power transfer this way. Both of my first gens I've owned have W'd the springs - one with a stock 4.0, the other with a lightly built 4.0, however I'm spring over with no blocks.

Sound like it will be cool. Maybe do a trac bar to solve axle wrap . When i first got my license i slid my explorer a few times i loved dirt roads. And wet pavement they have alright power more lowend then high end also you can get a significant gain just changing gears but cant wait to see the progress

Sound like it will be cool. Maybe do a trac bar to solve axle wrap . When i first got my license i slid my explorer a few times i loved dirt roads. And wet pavement they have alright power more lowend then high end also you can get a significant gain just changing gears but cant wait to see the progress

I'm getting excited, getting pretty close to picking out an Ex, then an engine.

Ya you going to rebuild a motor or add some power enhancements. Like bore stroke etc.

Ya you going to rebuild a motor or add some power enhancements. Like bore stroke etc.

For now, I am only going to do a cam, new valve springs, and a few bolt ons(CAI, Headers,fuel injectors, underdrive pulleys, ect.), and a good tune. Then maybe after a year or two, I will either blow the engine up, or rebuild it, then make it a stroker, and have some fun then. Final plan, probably 5+ years from now is a 351, that will be procharged. Hoping to keep up with some of the more hardcore SRT8 Jeeps when I get to that stage though, lol.

Sounds like a good plan you should be able to keep. Up with the things your going to do espasially if you find a v8 ex

Sounds like a good plan you should be able to keep. Up with the things your going to do espasially if you find a v8 ex

Hopefully I can keep up on it, just got to have the time and money at this point. I am hoping to get it running and on the road by the spring, but I doubt that will happen, so I am at least shooting for mid July for my hometown car show, even if it runs, and is not 100%, such as exhaust, suspension upgrades, ect. I will still go to the show.

Money money money lol you giong to do anything with aesthetics

Make it appear to be as stock as possible, some "upgrades" will be a bug guard, tinted windows(5%), and some Family oriented stickers, so that it looks like a Family SUV, not what it actually is. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back