What do you guys think... First gen sleeper. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you guys think... First gen sleeper.

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So I have been wanting to buy a Foxbody Mustang now for pretty much ever, but they are about 2,000-5,000 for a 5 speed, 5.0L Like I want. So since I am a college student, but I want to go fast, I had an idea to buy a First Gen Explorer, drop in a 5.0L V8 from a second Gen, harness and all, along with aftermarket 5 speed, lower it, tub it, and make a super sick sleeper Explorer to beat the living daylights out of, and have a ton of fun. So what do you guy think about this? Can I simply drop in a 5.0L into a first gen, or do I need to modify the frame, firewall ect. to do so. Obviously everything else would have to be custom, but I don't care, that is all the fun anyway. I can pretty much take my 2nd gen apart in a couple hours, but I am not too familiar with the first gens... give me your thoughts, I think it is an awesome idea, because I don't need to care about cosmetics, I can do what I want, and let my imagination lead me in ideas, instead of buying questionable off the shelf parts.

I have more questions below, greatly appreciate any responses. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354589

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73026&page=2

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188738

Motor mounts should line up. There also shouldn't be any crazy modifications needed to the frame/firewall. I think your biggest challenge will be wiring, but if you have a donor second gen, just swap it ALL over. Air conditioning will also be a formidable challenge, if you want to keep it.

Other than that.... I LOVE the idea... always something I really liked about my dads old '92....

The A/C is not an issue. I won't keep it if I am going fast. I am really excited about this aswell. I feel that this will not only be a great expire nice for me. But be one hell of a sweet rig to mess with, And race some "fast" cars with.

Haha I can see it now... A first gen ex leaving some Honda with a 3 foot spoiler in the dust. That's the way it should be. Maybe you could even take on a couple mustangs ;)

I'll be keeping my eye out for a build thread.... Definitely one to see. :thumbsup:

Good Luck! :salute:

Thanks man. Should have enough saved up for the truck, And engine/drivetrain by November sometime. Then the fun begins!

2" body lift will help clearance. Don't expect too much "sleeper" it's still going to be slow compared to other applications with the 5.0.

2" body lift will help clearance. Don't expect too much "sleeper" it's still going to be slow compared to other applications with the 5.0.

X2
Honestly in my opinion the work wouldn't be worth it.your end up spending WAYYYY more than if you just bought the fox body in the first place and will never be as fast....go stroked351w if your going to do it

Sleeper.....Miata with a 5.0. They make kits that are crazy easy to install. Cost of a used Miata for $4K, engine & kit another $6K & you have a high 11 sec car.

Or get a cheap ass ranger like I did and throw a big block in it. $700 for the ranger and $5k in motor and spank anything.

Or go cheap way and use a 5.0 in it with a 150 shot in it

See now, what is the fun in doing something everybody has done hundreds of times? To me, building custom brackets, using my head to solve problems, and making something go fast, that was NEVER designed to go fast sounds like fun to me. For me right now, the 5.0L is Very easy to get cheap, and with weight reduction, and a small shot of NOS, it can be fast enough. Plus I enjoy having something nobody else has really. Also, lowering it slightly, and making it a drag racing style truck, instead of lifted, sounds like more fun as well.

See now, what is the fun in doing something everybody has done hundreds of times? To me, building custom brackets, using my head to solve problems, and making something go fast, that was NEVER designed to go fast sounds like fun to me. For me right now, the 5.0L is Very easy to get cheap, and with weight reduction, and a small shot of NOS, it can be fast enough. Plus I enjoy having something nobody else has really. Also, lowering it slightly, and making it a drag racing style truck, instead of lifted, sounds like more fun as well.

5.0 in a ex is the most common swap out also tho...certainly wouldnt be the first to lower or put a 5.0 in one..you said you wanted something fast and cheap or else you would just buy a foxbody.well a 5.0 in a ex is not going to be fast or cheap with all the mods you are wanting.

5.0 in a ex is the most common swap out also tho...certainly wouldnt be the first to lower or put a 5.0 in one..you said you wanted something fast and cheap or else you would just buy a foxbody.well a 5.0 in a ex is not going to be fast or cheap with all the mods you are wanting.

My main issue with Foxbodys, or mustangs in General. It that you cannot find a clean, untouched one for anything under 5-7grand, EVERYTHING I have found is a peice of crap rusted out junker, that somebody still wants 4,000 for, or a body that has nothing on/in it for 3,000. I also hate dealing with issues other people have created by installing something improperly, or doing there own fixes. With an Explorer I know just about everything inside and out, and I can basically start from scratch. I agree that the swap, and lowering would not be the first, BUT, the car scene around me basically consists of older guys with show car trailer queens, and kids with foxbodys, or 90 mustanges, OR 3rd, or 4th gen Camaros. So outside of the Internet, at my local car scene, I would be one of a kind, but I would also have this site to fall back on, if I get stuck on something. I can make it fast over time, and sure it won't be cheap over a long amount of time, BUT, I will constantly have something to work on, and enjoy. Plus the basic parts can be had cheaply, and as always with EVERY project, upgrades can be done. :D

BTW, I am not trying to convince, you or myself, I have done quite a lot of research since the beginning of the summer, and to be honest, this seems like the best choice for me, and my circumstances. I don understand, that it won't be as fast as I want it to be right out of the box, but with more work, which I am totally OK with doing, it can be a darn rocketship on rails. Sort of like a fast Station Wagon, but better :D

The 5.0 is the engine going into my X if the 4.0 dies. The body on mine is pristine. The engine not so much, leaks a ton of oil. Being 2wd & a 5 speed I can get a swap done for under $3K. When your 4x4 the costs rises. The weight is what's killing the performance.

When I want to go fast I drive my 300 SRT8 that does 12's. :D

The 5.0 is the engine going into my X if the 4.0 dies. The body on mine is pristine. The engine not so much, leaks a ton of oil. Being 2wd & a 5 speed I can get a swap done for under $3K. When your 4x4 the costs rises. The weight is what's killing the performance.

When I want to go fast I drive my 300 SRT8 that does 12's. :D

That is the only issue I see my self running into. I want a 2wd manual to start with. Since I want to make it a drag truck. 4wd is a little bit too much. I wish I could afford something like what you have, but like I said beig a college student my money is tight.

I kno ill get bashed for saying this but from what I've read and researched the Chevy 350 fits better and has more aftermarket support than the 302

I kno ill get bashed for saying this but from what I've read and researched the Chevy 350 fits better and has more aftermarket support than the 302

:shoot::shoot::shoot::nono::nono::censored::censored:

Hahah had to:) but yes I agree and parts are cheaper:(

BTW, I am not trying to convince, you or myself, I have done quite a lot of research since the beginning of the summer, and to be honest, this seems like the best choice for me, and my circumstances. I don understand, that it won't be as fast as I want it to be right out of the box, but with more work, which I am totally OK with doing, it can be a darn rocketship on rails. Sort of like a fast Station Wagon, but better :D

We arnt trying to convince you either.just general discussion:) don't get me wrong I like the idea bust most bite off more than they can chew and end up giving up because the results aren't worth it.if your set on using a first gen look into doing a 351, more original, less people have done it.tons in the junk yard.plus there is no replacement for displacement. 351 in a first gen sport 2wd, dropped with good 150 shot.....NASTY!!!!!!!!:D

As long as your having fun building it and its faster than stock, PRICELESS:salute:

I don't want make all my Camaro buddies happy by dropping in a SBC, gotta keep the Ford Power! Could be worse, my one friend just finished building a '72 Dodge Dart, with a 318... Talk about hard to find parts, and cost... as for the 351 swap, down the road I will most likely do this, along with a Procharger, but that won't be for some time. Right now, what I really want is to get the truck, swap in the 302, get it running and driving perfectly, then worry about upgrading. I have a feeling that the Explorer Sport with a 302, manual, and an 8.8 will get up and go, A LOT better then my '96 5.0L...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So guys, I have been researching and asking A LOT of questions around car guys, and peers, and I have come up with mostly what I want to do.

The Truck: '91-'94 2 Door Sport
The Power Plant: 5.0L Engine with GT40P heads, so 98-01 Explorer, along with the whole entire wiring harness so that I can have the older style body, and have the reliability of OBII, along with easier tuning, That should be fun.

Upgrades: Weight reduction, 5.0L swap obviously, with a cam, new lifters for that cam, CAI, Underdrive pulleys, Headers, undecided on those, and a good tune. Possibly some Mustang injectors, Along with the weight reduction, I will be removing the factory gas tank, for a fuel Cell, and relocate the battery, all to NHRA standards, pretty much too much to type out, but the ideas are flowing. Like electric fans, possible electric water pump, newer 95-01 Rear end with disc brakes, exhaust cutoffs

A few questions though, Who is a god source for Cam knowledge? I really want a streetable driver, but also have the most power possible... I really don't know much on Cams...

Question 2, If I purchase a 4 wheel driver Explorer, because there does not seem to be too many 2WD ones around me in good shape, can I just take the differential out, and be good? or is there more too it?

What is the safest, and cheapest way to lower first* Gen Explorers? I am only looking for a 2 inch drop, just enough to get the roll center a little bit lower.

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate all the input.

Back