What do you think of Sears shocks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think of Sears shocks?

coloradobound

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Tacoma Dcab
Just curious what you guys think of Sears Roadhandler premium shocks for Trucks/SUV's. Have used them on other CARS, but curious what you thought of them for an Explorer. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would personally choose a shock that is designed and built by a dedicated 4x4 company...But that is just me....Pete

Save your self the money. They are the same thing as sold by Autozone. They are an ok shock if you just want a shock, but they are nowhere near what anyone who uses their Explorer for more than a people mover will find acceptible.

For your Explorer there are 2 good sets of shocks for it.
Either KYB's or BILSTEIN's are what I would run. Why? they are both gas pressurized, not hydraulic. They will not faid when under extreme or everyday use. KYB's are a japenies version of the bilstein. The bilstein is still a better constructed shock and valved specific per vehicle.
If you have any questions give OFF ROAD WAREHOUSE a call at 1800-341-7751 or visit offroadwarehouse.com

coloradobound

To be honest, I just purchased my new shocks from Sears, but they were Rancho 5000 series. Mabye not the top of the Rancho line, but I have been pretty happy with them. They cost me just under two hundred for a complete installation and get me where I want to go.

Jon Clark
1996 XLT 4x4
torsion lift
31-10.50's

shocks

Rancho shocks are not bad shocks for the average person, who does'nt do a lot of offroading. Bilsteins are shocks for the serious. Bilsteins are awesome shocks on and off road. I wish every one had a set so u could tell the difference between them and an average shock. If you no someone who has a set take a ride in there vehicle and see if you can tell a difference. Some vehicles come w/ Bilsteins stock, but aftermarket bilsteins are different. There better constructed and the valving is different. thank you RICK

Yes, I've seen some Blistens that are wicked...they have that external valve body I believe...But are they not extremely expensive? Also where could one get some good detailed info for them online?
Thanks
Pete

Well, ended up getting some Rancho RS5000's. Gonna get them put on tomorrow. Can't wait to see how they will be. The stock ones are a little worn. Especially with 99,000 miles on them. And don't do much off roading, so I thought they would be pretty good for me. And gonna get some 30x9.50's in Pirelli Scorpion AT's in a little while. Should be nice.

Coloradobound,

Good job on the shocks. There is no sense in spending major bucks on shocks unless you really intend to do some serious offroad adventure. And if you were going to tear the hell out of your truck off road, It wouldn't be in a realatively new Explorer in the first place. People can lift them, put bigger tires on them, and even give them more power, but lets get real, the Explorer just is not meant for bone shattering off road experiences, PEROID!!! You will tear it up. I've seen too many of them torn up by just doing a little off roading. And those were "MODIFIED" just like the people on this thread have done. I don't mean to discout the SUV, hell, I own one, they're greeeaaaatttt, but I love mine too much and these things are too expensive to replace these days for me. If you want to get rowdy, buy an old full-size Bronco with the 5.8 and manual lock hubs. I had one of those in High School, and It could run through a house and still keep on going.

PS. Before you get those 30x9.50's, you ought to invest 40 bucks in some Warrior shackles for the rear and get someone you trust (i.e. cool ford mechanic) to turn those torsion bars to the max. Then go invest in some 31x10.50's. You will be very happy you did. It makes that Explorer look pretty good.

Jon Clark
poor Architect Intern
1996 Explorer XLT
torsion, shackles, rs5000 shocks
31x10.50 BF's KO's (love those tires)

Well, I forgot to mention that it is a 1994. Those don't have torsion bars on them , do they? Otherwise, no matter how much I want to, don't have the chance to go taller for lift. I use the vehicle, but it is still in parents name. Cheaper for insurance. Otherwise, if I was going to do something, I'd go with a 4" and 33's. But not at the moment, so 30's will have to do.

Bilstein makes shocks for many different vehicles and applications. They make race shocks for offroad trucks and buggies and shocks for street and moderate offroad use. Believe it or not Bilstein shocks are not badly price for what you get. They run 49.95 to 64.95 for most trucks. there are some exceptions.

Back