What do you think of the running boards on '01-up Sports? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think of the running boards on '01-up Sports?

02XSport

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Toyota 4Runner SE V8
I am considering buying a set of OEM running boards/nerf bars for my '02 Sport just to make it easier to get in and out of. I just don't know if it would look good with my Explorer or whether it would even be worth it to buy some. I know Black Magic has them on his, but I don't know if they'd look good on mine too. Please give me your opinions, I might purchase a set of these this week. Thanks!!!!

Oh, and here is a pic of mine....you think they'd look okay?

dubs11.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I like them. They came on my truck and I use them to get in and out and to the back seat. I hate not having running boards.

It would look just like this:

DSC00535.jpg

I liek them..

Matt, could you take a pic of how these things are attached to your Explorer? or maybe you could just describe it to me? Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Originally posted by 02XSport
Matt, could you take a pic of how these things are attached to your Explorer? or maybe you could just describe it to me? Thanks, I really appreciate it!
well if its anything like mine there are 3 bolts on the "arms" that go into the body. so 9 on each side.

Lower....

My 00 had the step bars when I bought it. They seemed to get in the way when entering and exiting, and got the wifes pants dirty, so I removed them.

I am trying to figure out a way to reposition them. They need to be about an inch closer to the body, to make entrance and exit easier.

I like the looks of the bars. They are useful, especially for back seat passengers, but in the stock location are inconvenient for getting in and out of the front. If you step on them to get in the front, you have to bend over which is unnatural. If you don't step on them, then they are in the way.....:confused:

i would go with the running boards, but on anther note what type are those 20's??? they look amazing also what finish? polish?

are these bolted on without drilling holes???

just wanted to make sure....

Assuming they are the same as my Sport Trac; The earlier mentioned 9 bolts on each side go through the pinch weld under the doors; I don' t know if the holes are already there or not, each of the support brackets may need the 3 holes drilled. THere is a metal support bracket shaped like an "L" with a nice grey plastic cover on it... the support bracket gets bolted (3 bolts) to your pinch weld. Their are also 2 bolts from the bracket that go into the Step bar itself.
You can look for the holes to see if they exist on your pinch welds below and behind your doors.

Well, I looked underneath, and I found the holes that the bolts go into. So I decided to get them. They were shipped yesterday, so I hope to have them before the weekend. I also went by Ford and ordered the required nuts and bolts. After seeing the pictures of Matt's (Black Magic) I really do like the way they look. Plus, they are also very practical, especially when you have little sisters that have a hard enough time getting into my explorer.

I will post pics of the install and the end result!!!

Well, I installed them last night in the freezing cold weather :D

I think they look good, and it is so much easier to get in and out of now, plus it gives you the illusion that my X is actually lower to the ground than it really is, hehe ;)

I will have pics later, couldn't take any last night because there wasn't enough light.

I would have had them installed sooner, but the guys over at Ford messed up my parts order twice when I was trying to get the required nuts and bolts for the install. In the end it took 18 bolts and 12 nuts, and total cost for all the hardware, the running boards, and shipping, was right at $160....not too bad!

EDIT: I might sell these as they really aren't that much more of a convenience for me because I'm so tall. They are on the For Sale board, and I'm not in any hurry to sell them, just thought somebody might really need them more than I would.

I too mine off because they got in the way and my wheels look more aggressive now anyways.

Back