What driveshafts do I use?

jbm42

Reaction score
City, State
A-town, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
81 ford shortbed
Hi all,
I am swapping eveything off of a five speed 91 four door exploder to my 87 b2. Everything is pretty straightforward, but I am not sure what driveshafts to use after I have the dana 35, the 8.8, and the electronic transfer case put on the b2.

My b2 has the fm-145 tranny and a 2.9. I will be putting the 4.0 and the m5od tranny in as well. The sploder driveshafts seem as though they would be to long and the b2 shafts won't fit the m5od, 8.8, or dana 35....right?

Any input is welcome. Thanks guys

After the 4.0/M5OD/1354 swap, the Ex front driveshaft will bolt right in.

For the rear, grab a 2nd Ex front driveshaft from a junkyard and have it shortened 2" at a driveline shop. Be sure to also get the front t-case output yoke, and a driveshaft flange so you can fit it to the rear 8.8" flange (I think the one from your parts Ex's driveshaft will work for that).

Alternatively, you can jsut have the rear shaft from the same Ex you're parting out shortened to fit, although you won't get the double-cardan CV cluster joint this way (the DC joint is good to have if you lift it, better driveshaft angles, and less-to-no vibration).

Hope that helps

That helps and makes sense. Thanks. I will prob. only lift the body 3 inches. I'm not getting to crazy...yet. You ever heard of what someone would generly pay for a shortend driveline? Is that like considred an expensive mod? Man, your b2 is insane! nice job.

Thanks man :chug: I like to think of it as "simple & functional", rather than insane lol. It still gets me all the same places just as well though.

I think it's around $100 or so to have a shaft shortened and rebalanced.

Back