What exhaust sounds best. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What exhaust sounds best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i cant do strait pipes because i have a gas tank in my way. i am planning to go from single in to dual out.

Well technically you can do straights since all it is is no muffler. You can also do true dual straights but you just run both pipes down the right side of the truck just the like the full-size chevys.
True duals dont neccesarily have to be run down both sides of the vehicle to be a true dual system.

Yeah but i think i will just go with single in to double out for now. does anybody know any cheap but good headers?

I got single in and dual out 40 series flows on my 01 sport and i love it

I got single in and dual out 40 series flows on my 01 sport and i love it

But you also have a completely different engine. The SOHC and the OHV sound a lot different. Granted they're both 4.0's, the power difference is a lot.

I've got the dynomax single catback on my '94 and it sounds ok, the local exhaust shop here told me that you couldn't put duals on the explorer (which I knew better) but at the time the dynomax was a cheap way to eliminate the exhaust leak, it's held up very well, been on 2 years and still looks new :)

Well I've heard various opinions on it, but you "can't run true duals". Most of the rednecks around where I live run their Chevy's and F-150's with single in/dual out mufflers, which is completely different from having TRUE DUALS run. Just aggravates me for some reason...

I'm interesting in having single in dual out muffler run eventually, but it's not to high on the to do list. It's merely for sound purposes.

Anyone have exhausts on some 3rd Gens...lookin to get one

and does anyone know about how much it runs to get custom bent pipes for an exhaust at a shop?

I swear there was a second page to this thread and now I can't see it.

I remember a question about headers, take a look here:
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?Ntt=headers&N=1616 4294965622+10333

I've heard lots of good things about the pacesetters, not so much about the hedman's that are out there. Not sure about the Dynamax headers listed on that link, first time i've seen them.

Yea dont get the hedmans, there a piece of junk and always leak and warp real easy. JBA'stop of the line but will also cost you a pretty penny. Hmm I havent heard of the dynamax headers either hmm interesting...

The rednecks around here almost always run true dual straights no cat or muffler(we dont have inspections) on their Chevy Z71s, I'm gonna have to take some pics next time one comes into the shop.

i think that the hooker max flow sounds the best for a 4.0 good sound and not too loud. Also a strait thru muffler which will net better performance than a baffled muffler (it will be like runningh strait pipe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFkJJhhafLM

Same thing here with the Z71's. True dual straights with high flow cats or none at all and they all sound exactly the same. I got my straights done at my local shop and it cost me $180. They cut out the old muffler and some of the spare tire holder, which i had no use for, and made a y-pipe after the second cat and ran duals. No problem.

Picture039.jpg

Ignore the flowmaster sticker :)

A couple of years back I made a single to dual adapter and went 2.25" from the cat to the back bumper. I put a BII spare carrier on the rear so I was able to run the driver side pipe w/o any problem. Reckon the cat muffles the exhaust just enough to prevent high interior noise/drone, and eliminates any ricer sound. I think it's great and have had several compliments.

Here is mine. Single in dual out flowmaster super 44. both pipes straight out the back. the super is for super awesome!!!1!

the second two videos have crap audio but i figured id post em anyway.

seth i got to say that almost has the ring of a v8 starting up ....sounds good!

Thanks for all the help guys

no problem buddy.

If you've got a v6 and you want it to sound like a v8 then flow super 44's is the ksest you gonna get.

It's only slightly louder than the super 40's. Negligable. But the tone is much deeper.

Does any one have any idea what straight piped Cherry Bombs sound like on a 6 cyl.? Sounds like an interesting combination.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does any one have any idea what straight piped Cherry Bombs sound like on a 6 cyl.? Sounds like an interesting combination.

I second this question. I would be interested to know what it would sound like.

Back