what gear ratio do you have | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what gear ratio do you have

what gear ratio do you run

• 3.07 3.27 or 3.55 (think these were available in explorers)

Votes: 71 19.9%

Votes: 143 40.2%

Votes: 67 18.8%

Votes: 36 10.1%

Votes: 19 5.3%

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters
I would sure check the auto hubs first....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 4.10's with a posi out of a 94 lightning in the rear of the 4wd, Dana L/S also 4.10's in the front. 3.73 L/s in the V-8 2wd. 4.10's with L/S in my 94 Lightning not that that one counts.

3.73 ls

how do I decode the code?

RockRanger said:
We need another poll in here :D so I thought this might be a good one. so what gear ratio do you have. If you dont know there is a tag on the drivers door that has a code that can be looked up to see what it is or there will be a tag on the axle with a bunch of numbers on it one of them will look like this:

3 73 = 3.73 gears open diff
or
3L73 = 3.73 limited slip

Matt

I have a 2002 explorer sport. The tag on the door says Axle 46. Which axle is this? I believe I am supposed to have limited slip. Do you know where I can find info on how to decode this?

Thanks!
No1Eman

I am in the process of 5.13's and 38's.

update:
I now have 4.10's a Trac-Lok up front, and in the process of getting a LockRight for the rear

i've heard 4.10's were not available in the first gen expolorers from the factory.. can anyone tell me if this is true?

4.10 was not a option in the first gens...
First gen axle codes are ---
41 = open 3.27 only in manual tranny
43 = open 3.08 only in auto
45 = open 3.55 man and auto
D4 = trac lok 3.73 man and auto

This is out of my owners manual.....
window sticker says on mine "performance axle" $252.00
"trailor tow package" $106.00

yes, my gears are aftermarket

BORT said:
i've heard 4.10's were not available in the first gen expolorers from the factory.. can anyone tell me if this is true?

Not in explorers but were available in 4cyl rangers. I found a 4cyl ranger that had 4.10 and that is what I put in my ranger.

racinjason68 said:
4.10 was not a option in the first gens...
First gen axle codes are ---
41 = open 3.27 only in manual tranny
43 = open 3.08 only in auto
45 = open 3.55 man and auto
D4 = trac lok 3.73 man and auto

This is out of my owners manual.....
window sticker says on mine "performance axle" $252.00
"trailor tow package" $106.00

:eek: HUH I have 3.27's and an auto tranny. :eek:

But what id like for best fulle and torq for 33's are 3.73 that would place me back to stock I alredy get 22 mpg and I have 31's stock 3.27 gearing. I can hold my own off road to. The other day I towed out a full sized van and trailer. Still have my OD to. Wonder if its cause I make my own octain boost? Or my whole maid intake screw paying 100 for a KKM. Less than half the price and I pass emishens leagly. Gusse I shuld update my profile but im getting a more stuff soon so ill update l8er. I dont forsee my self going any bigger dont want a lader to get in my truck or work on it anyway.

Im running 4.56 gears L/S rear, open up front.

4.56 L/S rear

3.27 front haha. work in progress.

I have a 92 X with 3.27 gears and 31" BFG tires. I do hwy driving all the time.Where can i get a set of 3.73 from for the front and rear????Ranger's??????other X's?

86caprirs said:
I have a 92 X with 3.27 gears and 31" BFG tires. I do hwy driving all the time.Where can i get a set of 3.73 from for the front and rear????Ranger's??????other X's?

Yeah you could get them Ranger's or other Explorers from them at the yard or off e-bay the cool thing about getting them from the yard is that you could get a free lsd thrown in and sometimes off e-bay but if you dont want an lsd you could always buy a gear locker.

Im assuming you plan to get 33's. If not you should get 3.55's it would place you back to the stock raito if you dont get 33's and stay with your 31's. You will have ampal torq if you keep 31's on with 3.73 but on the highway it would run at a bit higher rpm. You would not have the best mpg. Even now that you have 31's at stock grearing you use a bit more gas to get them rolling but once you do you have lower rpm on the high way and the inersha will even out the gas usage a bit and besides it runs at the 3.08 raito which is with in the first gen geering paramiters. Basicly if you like to run at the best average rating for gas and torq ill show you a table. This is if you have or had 3.27 gearing and an auto trany.

Even mix: / Torq:
31 / 3.55 / 3.73
33 / 3.73 / 4.10
35 / 4.10 / 4.56
37 / 4.56 / 5.13
40 / 5.13 / if you swap a dana 44 5.38

So you think the 3.73 will be too much for the freeway with the 31" tires. I was looking to get a little more go off line and faster accell on the freeway.Yes the X takes a little more to get her going right now.I had a set of stock tires on her before and she had good gas milage then,but when i put the 31's on her i noticed it was harder to accellerate and keep going at a cruise on the freeway.the reason i did the 31's is so it would look good with the 2" budget lift (shackles and F-150 spacers).

Do you mean numericaly to high? If so I don't think so IMOP. If you think it's sluggish now getting it going, try something numericaly lower and see what happens.

86caprirs said:
So you think the 3.73 will be too much for the freeway with the 31" tires. I was looking to get a little more go off line and faster accell on the freeway.Yes the X takes a little more to get her going right now.I had a set of stock tires on her before and she had good gas milage then,but when i put the 31's on her i noticed it was harder to accellerate and keep going at a cruise on the freeway.the reason i did the 31's is so it would look good with the 2" budget lift (shackles and F-150 spacers).

Well if you dont plan on getting 33's and you want best torq and gas. I would recomend you regear to 3.55 that will place you back to the stock ratio that you had with the stock tires. This should give you better take off. I have 31's (no lift) and still have 3.27's that gives me a ratio of 3.05 - 3.06 depending if you round to the nearest tenth. I have good take off and millage but not as good as it could be I also have enof torq to climb but I could have more. As for crusising my crusise controle works fine. What PSI do you have in your tires the inerta from the tires should keep you at speed as their bigger they dont desell as easily. 35 PSI is best for millage on the freeway. The less serfice airea you have on the road the less drag you will have. 20's - 6 PSI is good to off roading depending on terain and condition the more serfice airea the better the grip. Infact as long as you apply the gas up a hill you sholdnt slow by much. When I have cruse on it dont slow up hills the times I do the wind is high and to my front. I hope this helps you out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

according to drivetrain.com I have 4.56, but the Explorer Forum says its 3.73 Anybody know which one is accurate?

Back