What is this factory box?

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
I've got my rear side panel off cause I'm going through it with a steel tube that will bolt to the rear wheel well for a 33" spare tire to sit on. I've got the factory JBL sound system with the 8" sub in the rear. I'm not using hte factory sub or amp so I'm going to pull them out while I've got that panel off. I obviously know what the sub is and the factory amp is opbvious as well but what's the silver box that looks kinda like an amp that's bolted inbetween the factory amp and sub? It looks like it's bolted to the sub box too. Can I just pull all that out or is that silver box something other then stereo related?

Thanks for the info
Khris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That silver box is the amp for your door speakers you can pull it out.

looking at it from left to right. The first big box should be your amp for the door speakers. The next smaller box is the amp for the sub. the sub is next and is only a 5.25 speaker or a 6.25 i think.not an 8 inch

Thanks for the reply, I'll be pulling all of them out since I'm running everything off external amps. I guess it could be a little 6" sub, didn't measure it.

Khris

yea, it takes a while to pull everything off without breaking anything, at least for me. I am going to pull my panel in a few days and put the amp bypass harness on there until i can affourd componets and a new amp.

Back