• Register Today It's free!

What is this part? (see picture)

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I have this ticking noise in the engine that sounds like it's coming from the EGR area. The other day it became very noticable, upon further inspection I noticed that a vaccum hose came off the egr tube. Anywho, I re-attached the hose and I still get a ticking sound I traced it using a steel tube against my ear and this part seems to be making the noise I hear...

vbgarage.php

What is this and would it be making a ticking noise, almost like an exhaust leak?

It sits just behind and under the EGR right bhind the intake. (5.0 engine)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know, but it looks vacuum related by the connector on top of it... that doesnt appear to be an electrical connector

Where abouts is that?

looks like the fuel pressure regulator

a million dollars question here... I DO NOT KNOW! LOL

the ticking is most likely an exhaust leak commin to the 5.0's

that picture is of the FPR just like stated above.

It is VERY possible the ticking is an exhaust leak.
I have the same ticking on my 96 Explorer 5.0L, definatley an exhaust leak on the passenger side exhaust manifold. When I tore down my 97 5.0L engine I found all the exhaust maniold bolts were merly finger tight, they come loose, it leaks.

So the noise I hear thru the bar is not actually the Fuel pressure regulator, but the exhaust leak around it? When I move the bar around the engine, exhaust, etc. I do not hear the ticking thru it, but when I put it on the FPR and listen, it ticks. Is that normal?

Back