what is width for 2003 X 17" rim? tire advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is width for 2003 X 17" rim? tire advice?

Viggen

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0
Anyone know the width size on the 2003 EX 17" stock 5 spoke rim?

I have the stock size of 245/65R17 on them now and looking to beef them up to 255 or 265. Anyone got advice on that?

What is the best overall performance/traction for the X? I happen to like the stock BF's, and might just get the same brand again unless there is just a superior tire brand out there.

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are 7.5" on my '04. Check your door sticker if they are the ones that came on the vehicle. It will also say on the back of the rim.

My 03 says 17x7.5J front/ 17x7.5J rear... but they're gone now. Are you buying new rims?

Mine are also 7.5 wide, going to go to 265/70/17 in the new year when the originals wear out

Dont you think 265's might be too big for it. I know BFG come in 265, and will fit the 7.5 according to their web, but could it bulge out a little too much?

I'm looking at a nice mid point say 255.

It depends...

I had 265/70/17 (stock rim) on my vehicle for 3 years, never a problem. It depends on the tire, you are correct... that could present a problem.

I'm fitting some 8's off my Falcon when the new rubber goes on sometime in the new year
Scotty

Back