• Register Today It's free!

What kind of plugs to use?

catdaddy614

Reaction score
City, State
columbus, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
HI everyone im new to the board, I just recently bought a 1997 ford explorer XLT, and I want to do some basic maintenance to it. It has a v6 4.0L SOHC, I was to replace the spark plugs and wires, what kid of plugs and wires do you reccommend? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will be best served by sticking to Motorcraft plugs.

As far as wires go, I prefer the wires from Magnecor ( http://www.magnecor.com/ ). They are simply the best there is.

Good luck ....

x2 on motorcraft plugs. i cant remember witch ones i put in there first, but the truck ran like crap (missing, and bucking). my buddy who was a ford tech for about 15yrs told me you have to use them, or that will happen.

i run autolite double platinums with magnecore wires they are a great setup

thanks for the info guys. Are autolite plugs and wires good?

Motorcraft plugs are made by Autolite, I just picked up some Motorcraft Wires and Autolite Platinum plugs.

I won't put autolite anything in my X just very low quality in everything they make. Motorcraft is the best way to go check and see if you have a Factory motor parts in your area they are the dealer warehouse but they charge much less than the dealer. As a former ford service advisor I cant tell you how many times people brought in there ford with drivo issues, had autolite parts, and when replaced to motorcraft no more problem.
P.S. Autolite used to make motorcraft plugs but they were made to motorcraft standard much higher than there regular retail plugs. autolite no longer makes motorcraft plugs.

If I were unable to use Motorcraft plugs for whatever reason, I would not hesitate to use Autolite plugs.

All I know about Auto lite is that it is the only plug that Edelbrock recommends for it's aluminum heads that I have on my 302. The exact plug is 3924. And she runs like a champ. Now as far as wires, I'm using the large diameter MSD wires along with their ignition.

Back