what milage should I get on 94 4L std ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what milage should I get on 94 4L std ?

xcaret

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Expl 2 dr auto
My 94 explore 4x4 ,4L ,5 spd gets poor milage around 240 miles to a tank in general driving ( 1/2 town and 1/2 highway) in two wheel drive ..Here in canada thats around 20 miles per gal , in U.S.it would be more like 17 as Canadian gallons are 20 percent larger.
I was told by an explore owner that I have the same problem he had ..Since my explore heat gauge does not hardly move at all ( always shows cold ) the sensor ( that sends the info to the heat gauge) tells the computer that its not warmed up yet and the computer keeps the choke on ,thereby adding way more fuel to the engine causing my fuel consumption to go sky high..He said his did that and had the same heat gauge reading untill he removed the heat sensor and cleaned it and replaced it ..Now he gets great milage ( 420 miles to a tank) and his heat gauge is now registering properly .Since this is tucked under the air conditioning compressor he used needle nose vise grips to help with getting it out ,and replacing it ..I'm not to anxious to attempt this but if it will work I will try it ,Can some one add to this please ? Will it help ? what milage should I be getting ?
Xcaret

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds about average for the X. My '94' gets 14-16mpg city/highway miles! You can do a search for average MPG and read many posts on this topic. The X will get anywhere from 12-20mpg depending on mods and tire size. Just do a search, like I said lots of posts on this topic. As far as your heat gauge question..are you talking about the temp. gauge on your dash? The temp. sending unit that reads engine temp should be located above your thermostat housing. If yours doesn't move..could be a number of different things. Could be your t-stat is stuck open, could be the temp. sender needs to be replaced, could just be a bad connection. Do a search there also, search for gauge or temp gauge lots of posts on that one too. As for your mpg..I'd say 17mpg is pretty darn good!

I get about 210 on a full tank. If I drive straight HW I get about 260.
Your X sounds normal to me.

I get about 19 mpg with about 50% in town and 50% highway, and about 23 mpg all highway. That is with intake, exhaust and not driving it like I stole it and keeping it at about 65 mph on the highway. If your temp gauge is alwas reading cold, it is probably due to your thermostat being stuck open so your engine never really warms up. I would look into replacing it since a thermostat is not expensive by any means.

My 93 X (Auto, 4x4, HD Cooling) has only gone to the 'N' in Normal once in the 3 years I've had it. Other wise it would sit at the line above C (not the line AT the C) and stay there. No mods to the engine bay at all.

My 92 X (Man., 2wd, single core rad.) fluctuates from 'N' to 'R' and stays there, bouncing back and forth.

As far as mileage is concerned, I get about 250 mi. on a full tank...on a trip to Oregon, I hit 320 mi.....and had a LITTLE left in the tank.

Ryan

Your milage is fine. My '93 Limited auto gets about 245 with most all freeway driving. My stick shift XL is about the same, but my fuel gauge isn't functioning (yet) and since I don't have a working overdrive either, highway milage is probably worse than in town milage.

13.4 mpg on my '93 sport auto 2wd

My 94 XLT 5sp gets 20-22 mpg in town (Tucson) or about 360-380 miles per tank. When my thermostat started to fail last spring, the mileage went to around 18. My 91 STX 4.0 used to run cold in NJ all the time and I thought that was good. It turned out that the thermostat was stuck open and I killed the O2 sensor which cost me some $. Change out your thermostat. With my new stat, my temp gage will go to "M" in traffic with the AC on and the temp 105. Since that is too hot for me, I plan to switch to an electric fan or change the fan clutch.

I'm getting about 20 mpg Canadian in my 92 ,I didn't think that was too bad for a 4x4 suv .

I'm getting about 20 mpg Canadian in my 92

20mpg Canadian, huh? So what's that equal, about 14mpg American? :D

Ryan

Back