what muffler sounds good with the 4.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what muffler sounds good with the 4.0?

Chrome_Rush

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 2wd 5
My 91 5 speed needs a new muffler, (rattling baffle inside) right now it has a stock type muffler with a turn down that dumps just before the rear axle. I want don't want it to be obnoxiously loud but I definetely want it to have a good strong sound and be audible at idle at least a bit. I feel just a glass pack may be to raspy, (I could be wrong) I listened to some clips on YouTube and half of them the flowmaster sounds great on these, on some of the clips they sound terrible, same with magnaflow, heard one that sounded great, another that in my opinion sounded bad and to high pitched. But which clips do you trust? Lol, I also considered a turbo muffler but I'm not sure it would be loud enough with the cats still on the truck. I do know the exhaust setup I have is going to magnify the sound a bit being it dumps under the truck before the axle. Any suggestions/clips people know to sound accurate (when played on good speakers at least)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the glass pack on my 97 Ex and it sounds really good for 6 cyl. Not too raspy and definitely not like a Honda w/ a fart can. However my exhaust exits at the rear of the truck like factory. I don't know if that will effect the sound differently then yours but that's my $0.02...

I have a Gibson muffler.

a stack

I've never heard a gibson, how do they sound compared to a magnaflow or a flowmaster in these?

And seriously, a stack? How about no lol.

Anybody have any clips that actually sound properly recorded? I hate a raspy sounding exhaust.

I installed Gibson catback system 18 years ago it still sounds good to me. Hear a video I just did

I have the second cat removed with a flowmaster 40 series from idle to 2000 rpm it has a nice sound and aftre that it quiets down with an almost no drone but i don't hear it over the radio, wind, and tire noise and I love it.

I'd suggest a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler/catback. They are perfect for the 4.0L OHV.

The big 17747 with 2.25" offset in/2.25" center out is the muffler Dynomax used in the 91-92 catback system when they offered it. You can still get the muffler and the cat-to-muffler pipe, and you can just use any 2.25" turndown to dump it the same way you have now.

If you wanted something a little louder, the 17731 is a shorter Dynomax Super Turbo. Shorter mufflers are usually louder than their larger counterparts for the same design. You'll need a straight extension to make up for the shorter muffler, but it should give you what you're looking for.

The Dynomax Super Turbos are low and throaty, which suits the 4.0L OHV. Flowmasters and glass packs have their own kind of sound, but often have a lot of restriction to make that sound. If you decide you want a Flowmaster or glass pack, you can upsize to a 2.5" in/out and use reducers to get better flow and more noise/sound.

The Dynomax seems like the way to go to me, deep sound, growls when you hit the gas and really accelerate, deep and throaty at idle, but quiet enough not to be annoying.

Note that running a dump under the vehicle does a lot for amplifying the sound due to all the reflections from the vehicle underbody and the road. It may even be way louder than you realize, though usually it's the other way around - you'll get annoying to unbearable drone inside, but outside will just sound like a ratty old vehicle with a hole in the muffler.

I'd suggest a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler/catback. They are perfect for the 4.0L OHV.

The big 17747 with 2.25" offset in/2.25" center out is the muffler Dynomax used in the 91-92 catback system when they offered it. You can still get the muffler and the cat-to-muffler pipe, and you can just use any 2.25" turndown to dump it the same way you have now.

If you wanted something a little louder, the 17731 is a shorter Dynomax Super Turbo. Shorter mufflers are usually louder than their larger counterparts for the same design. You'll need a straight extension to make up for the shorter muffler, but it should give you what you're looking for.

The Dynomax Super Turbos are low and throaty, which suits the 4.0L OHV. Flowmasters and glass packs have their own kind of sound, but often have a lot of restriction to make that sound. If you decide you want a Flowmaster or glass pack, you can upsize to a 2.5" in/out and use reducers to get better flow and more noise/sound.

The Dynomax seems like the way to go to me, deep sound, growls when you hit the gas and really accelerate, deep and throaty at idle, but quiet enough not to be annoying.

Note that running a dump under the vehicle does a lot for amplifying the sound due to all the reflections from the vehicle underbody and the road. It may even be way louder than you realize, though usually it's the other way around - you'll get annoying to unbearable drone inside, but outside will just sound like a ratty old vehicle with a hole in the muffler.

Although I have a 2000, I still have the 4.0 OHV and agree with what Anime said. The SuperTurbo is a great muffler for the engine. I'm not a big fan of Flowmasters or Magnaflows on 6 cyl's so I went that option. To me, the SuperTurbo doesn't really give the truck a "custom exhaust sound" but overall deepens the sound of the truck as a whole. Its nice because it doesn't try to make a V6 sound like a V8 or anything that the truck isn't. If you're going for loud, this probably isn't for you, but if you want good sound for what you have, check out Dynomax.

**Keep in mind you're asking about a highly subjective topic so opinions may vary. Plus, I don't know if a 2nd gen OHV is much different from a 1st gen soundwise but I like to offer my .02

Any ohv is going to sound the same aside from maybe very slight differences from cats. I really want a nice low rumble. I'm thinking about the dynomax, but I'm not sure it's going to be quite loud enough for me. Like I said I'm not looking for obnoxious, but at the same time I really want to be able to hear it under throttle and at idle. Both inside and outside the truck. Not blocks away, but I want it to have some presence. I just got the think aligned after a mild lift and I want to drive it, but the rattling muffler is kind of a downer lol.

Agree with Anime and Varsity. What they've said about the SuperTurbo is very true. It had the lowest note I've heard on an SOHC. Loud it isn't, in fact it's quite tame sounding at any RPM. I went to the extent of testing a clamped Magnaflow and Borla with the resonator removed and neither produced the low tone the Dynomax had, not even close. IMO, low and loud don't belong in the same sentence for ANY V6 regardless of displacement, it's something known as harmonics. Nice thing about Dynomax is their 90 day guarantee that is fully refundable with up to a $50 installation credit.

http://www.dynomax.com/warranty-guarantee/

Any ohv is going to sound the same aside from maybe very slight differences from cats.

Really? Then why even start a thread about muffler choice?

The Super Turbo sounds very different than a Flowmaster, and very different from a Magnaflow, or even one of Dynomax's own straight-through mufflers. They all sound different because they flow different amounts of air, and have different internal designs that exhaust gas flows through.

If you want the best performance, with enough noise that it sounds sporty but not ratty, the Super Turbo is it. The Dynomax mufflers also have a lifetime replacement warranty if they ever rust through or fall apart.

Flowmasters are more of a gimmick. They have people buying their mufflers who think other people really care about what their vehicle's exhaust note sounds like. The Flowmasters, despite the name, generally don't flow as well as a Super Turbo for the same size muffler/pipe, and only have a 1-year warranty.

Magnaflows are a (heavy) stainless straight-through muffler (like a Dynomax Ultra-flow) and can sound ok on some things with a big enough muffler. They might sound ok on an Explorer with the right size muffler and some tuning, but for the price, they are an expensive option and don't always wind up sounding good.

The lack of a rear pipe is going to affect the noise level almost as much as the choice of muffler, too. Where a straight-through muffler on a tuned system with a rear exit might be ok, it can be WAY too loud on a system that dumps under the vehicle.

I'd say The Dynomax 17731 is probably going to be the best bang for the buck in terms of performance and sound. It won't be too quiet at all, especially with a dump, but the note will be low and deep rather than just ratty like a glasspack or straight-through.

Really? Then why even start a thread about muffler choice?

That's exactly why I'm asking, there are a LOT of explorers not just first gens with the ohv, and a lot with custom exhaust systems or at least swapped mufflers and I want opinions. It's the same engine so should sound the same no matter what year explorer it's in, aside from like I said, slight differences in car design.

I think the super turbo is what I'm looking for it sounds like. Something with a nice low rumble. I want to hear it when I'm getting on it, but not while cruising. From the description it should fit the bill. Especially with a dumped turndown. After I replace the completely rotten and half missing rocker panels I'm going to do a side exit just in front of the rear tire. Getting ride of all the pipe going over the axle takes out a lot of bends and should really free up the exhaust system so I would like to stay away from going over the axle.

I'm debating right now if I want to lose the cats or not. They are original with 245k miles, they can't be helping performance any, they may very well be half plugged and a major restriction in the system. Plus I bet the super turbo would sound a bit meaner running catless.

Anything is better then what's on it now, it's just a constant rattle that changes tone by rpm. At 35 in 5th gear cruising it sounds like one of those doinger door stops everyone played with as a kid going nonstop lol. Imagine the amount t of annoying that is driving down the road.

I installed a Flowmaster Force II mainly because I wanted a tru catback with mandrel bent pipes and Flowmaster was the only affordable one I could find for a Sport. It sounds low and decent when accelerating, pretty stock at idle, No Drone. Installed a Magnaflow on my other SUV (small 3.3 V6) and it definitely has a growl to it but also a drone. Heard a dynomax on a 4.0 OHV many years ago and it sounded great.

It's the same engine so should sound the same no matter what year explorer it's in, aside from like I said, slight differences in car design.

A lot of the first gens here that are running custom exhaust have at least an intake mod to go along with it, and a conical air filter really changes how mean the Explorer sounds, inside and out.

I strongly suggest you get a KKM intake/filter kit to go along with whatever muffler/exhaust you get, since they are complimentary mods and flowing more air into and out of the motor is a great way to maximize it's potential - if all other basic maintenance items are in good order.

Do NOT remove your catalytic converter unless you are replacing it!

It's against the law (to the tune of a $25,000 fine plus prison time) and does nothing good for an Explorer. It worked decades ago for old muscle cars with carbureted V8 engines, but the 4.0L OHV is computer controlled - removing the converters from the system screws everything up and will reduce mileage, not to mention cause harmful, toxic, deadly exhaust gases. Those gases will get inside your vehicle if you have the windows open.

If the cats are so old and rusty they are falling apart, you can replace them, either with a OEM-style 2-cat system for ~$200, or you may just want to get a universal 2.5" 3-way catalytic converter for $50-80 and stick that in place of the factory converters.

You could probably have an exhaust shop do the cat pipe fabrication and install the new muffler as part of a custom system.

Instead of using the factory replacement pipes that reduce the 2.5" converter to 2.25" at the muffler, you could get a 2.5" in/out muffler to go with the 2.5" pipe that will come out of the converter, and that would make the system even louder.

It's hard to get loud only when on the gas or at idle, without getting drone at speed, even if it's limited to a certain RPM. Even the big Dynomax 17747 Super Turbo drones around 1600-1800RPM on the 4.0L OHV. You might get lucky and a certain exhaust design might not drone that much, but the bigger the pipes and the more the muffler flows (especially over the CFM the engine actually needs) the louder it will get.

That's another reason I suggested the Super Turbo 17747 and 17731- they match the flow requirements of the 4.0L OHV, stock and modified, without going too far over. They still might drone when in a system with a dump though, but not as much as a system with straight-through style muffler would.

The other option is a Dynomax VT muffler. They are a straight-through muffler, but they have a valve, which opens to let exhaust through, and acts as a regulator to keep drone down. They seem to work pretty decent for the price if you want the loudest exhaust note with the least drone.

I have the dynomax on my ranger. While it sounds good, its a stupid design. If you wheel your explorer say bye bye to the muffler. It hangs quite a bit below the frame, because dynomax wants to mount the muffler on its side and not flat like every other one!!

Im taking mine off at the cat, going to 2.25" pipe to most likely a flowmaster 40 series, which will dump under the truck, since i wheel mine i dont want to mess with a nice tip. Ive already crushed one. Ya i was joking about the stack.....

My explorer is the only one of my vehicles that even has a cat on it still. As long as there isn't an o2 sensor after or in the cats, it won't effect how it runs. Not an issue with the 91. Both cars in my garage right now have had the cats eliminated. Even my focus ST has a catless downpipe. (That did require tuning). It's to help with emissions, but an engine running properly doesn't need it. My cars will all still pass an emissions test. Although they aren't required here, you can still put it on a sniffer. My cats are structurally sound still, I'm just not sure how how they are internally. I hate to hollow them out and keep them just for looks, it's not good for flow. They may just go away, I may replace them with a small glasspack, then have that go into a dynomax. I'm not sure how that would change the sound of the dynomax though. I usually just run a strait pipe to the muffler of my choice for the best flowing exhaust I can manage.

As for worry of tearing it off my truck spends 99.99% of its time on pavement. It will never see anything more then an easy camping trail and it's lifted 2" with 31x10.5's, so something that hangs a little low isn't an issue. I also don't mind a slight drone, I just dont want a loud annoying drone is all. I have definetely had some vehicles like that, doesn't make for a pleasant daily driver. It also has a cone filter at the end of the intake and a bbk throttle body to help it breath. If/when the engine needs a rebuild it will also get new valve springs and a beefier cam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the dynomax on my ranger. While it sounds good, its a stupid design. If you wheel your explorer say bye bye to the muffler. It hangs quite a bit below the frame, because dynomax wants to mount the muffler on its side and not flat like every other one!!

The 17767 Super Turbo for the 93-94 hangs down diagonally because that's how Walker/Dynomax decided to deal with the single factory muffler hanger.

You can use the 17747 Super Turbo muffler and the cat-to-muffler pipes for a 91-92 if you want the "level" muffler for more ground clearance, you'll just have to have the hanger custom made or come up with some other kind of hanger system.

My explorer is the only one of my vehicles that even has a cat on it still. As long as there isn't an o2 sensor after or in the cats, it won't effect how it runs. Not an issue with the 91. Both cars in my garage right now have had the cats eliminated. Even my focus ST has a catless downpipe. (That did require tuning). It's to help with emissions, but an engine running properly doesn't need it. My cars will all still pass an emissions test. Although they aren't required here, you can still put it on a sniffer. My cats are structurally sound still, I'm just not sure how how they are internally. I hate to hollow them out and keep them just for looks, it's not good for flow. They may just go away, I may replace them with a small glasspack, then have that go into a dynomax. I'm not sure how that would change the sound of the dynomax though. I usually just run a strait pipe to the muffler of my choice for the best flowing exhaust I can manage.

Removing a catalytic converter doesn't improve exhaust flow in modern vehicles. It doesn't improve torque, it doesn't improve horsepower, it doesn't improve mileage. All it does is screw up the emissions systems, which screws up the intake and fuel systems, and you get a poorly running vehicle, all for an exhaust that "sounds cool". Exhaust systems without the converter sound worse, not better.

Proper tuning of vehicles with computer-controlled engines involves working with the systems to maximize their efficiency and potential. Sometimes that does mean replacing the stock converter with a higher flowing unit, but never does it mean eliminating the converter entirely.

It is a BAD idea to talk about illegal mods on this forum as well, and against the forum rules.

I'd suggest going back and editing your posts to take all the illegal stuff out.

Back